Religious Fundamentalists vs. Conspiracy Theorists

A place to talk about anything (that doesn't belong in the other forums).

Moderator:Æron

pharmmajor
Religious Fundamentalists vs. Conspiracy Theorists

Postby pharmmajor » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:09 pm

Which group is it more difficult to have a rational debate with? Both sides present their arguments with overzealous hostility, refuse to acknowledge any evidence that counters their claims while blindly buying into illogical, unverifiable statements that support their nonsensical beliefs, and are willing to threaten or engage in violent activity against those who say they're wrong. But which of the two will induce the most frustration when trying to engage in a logical discussion?

sad jazz cantaloupe

Re: Religious Fundamentalists vs. Conspiracy Theorists

Postby sad jazz cantaloupe » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:59 pm

where are your nike shoe ads :(
Apologies to everyone. Except Fritz.
First of all, Fritz, do yourself a favor and research your own answers before you post.

pharmmajor

Postby pharmmajor » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:10 pm

where are your nike shoe ads :(
:?: Beg pardon?

Æron

Postby Æron » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:56 pm

Apples and oranges, I say. It depends on the degree of irrationality they express in either case.
Scurry, scurry, Scurryous! You might just be the murriest. You certainly are the furriest! Hurry! Scurry! Scurryous!

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:40 pm

Libertarians. ;)
If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. (Revelation 2:5, NIV)
Josh Woodward, Ohio Singer/Songwriter, offers his songs for free. Give him a listen.

sad jazz cantaloupe

Postby sad jazz cantaloupe » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:59 pm

amen to that, brother!
First of all, Fritz, do yourself a favor and research your own answers before you post.

likeafox
Administrator

Postby likeafox » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:17 am

That is a very unfair generalization of both groups. Also I have to agree with Aeron.

Arloest
Moderator (retired)

Postby Arloest » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:26 am

Apples and oranges, I say. It depends on the degree of irrationality they express in either case.
Quite true, quite true.
Who sleeps shall awake, greeting the shadows from the sun
Who sleeps shall awake, looking through the window of our lives
Waiting for the moment to arrive...
Show us the silence in the rise,
So that we may someday understand...

osprey

Postby osprey » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:49 am

Fact is, anybody who is zealous about any belief, no matter what belief that is, is going to be very hard to convince otherwise. Atheists are going to be next to impossible to debate about the existence of a god with, for instance, and I say this as an atheist myself.
OK. pants it. I lied. It's drum and bass. What you gonna do?

Segovia

Postby Segovia » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:31 pm

Eh, both are irrational and closed minded.

pharmmajor

Postby pharmmajor » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:29 pm

At first I thought they were two sides of the same coin, equally aggravating. But after getting into a heated discussion with some nuts who keep claiming that the 9/11 attacks were planned by Israel and/or the Bush admin and other such nonsense, I'm going to have to revise my earlier belief and say that conspiracy theorists are harder to debate with than fundies. At least fundies, or those I've encountered, will occasionally admit that they might be wrong.

sad jazz cantaloupe

Postby sad jazz cantaloupe » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:36 pm

I consider myself to be a conspiracy theorist in my spare time and I would say that I am pretty easy to get me to accept that your ideas may be right but at the same time extremely difficult to have a rational discussion with. I don't know where I fall in your spectrum.

likeafox
Administrator

Postby likeafox » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:48 pm

Just like you couldn't make generalizations before, I wouldn't jump to any conclusion now based on your own limited experiences.

But aside from that, I originally thought you meant conspiracy theory along the lines of alien autopsies preformed at Area 51, or mind control nanobots in flu vaccines.

Now, the 9/11 being an inside job thing seems infinitely more plausible than an invisible all-powerful man in the sky that created the universe in 4000 BC and blahblahblah. Governments committing atrocities unbeknownst to their public has been a pretty common occurrence in history, and developed countries certainly haven't proven themselves to be above it. I don't believe the government did it because everyone I know who is much better informed than me on the subject that I also know to have rational views on other things think it was near impossible. If their thoughts were to the contrary, I would have no problem accepting their views until I knew more. I don't think this makes me irrational or a "sheep". I simply never bothered to seek out the details of 9/11 because knowing the "truth" about it would be inconsequential to my life (I'm not even American).

I'm not arguing anything, this is just where I stand. I also had a long question written out for you, but I realized it wasn't really consistent with what you were saying so nevermind.

Dr. Dos

Postby Dr. Dos » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:27 am

Conspiracy theorists don't influence elections.

Fundies are worse.

Q.E.D.
Anami: Sex with a giant, black scorpion seems fun.

<SteveThePocket> Geez. I want more of this stuff now. Now I know how a horny guy on an imageboard feels.

sad jazz cantaloupe

Postby sad jazz cantaloupe » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:36 am

I originally thought you meant conspiracy theory along the lines of alien autopsies preformed at Area 51, or mind control nanobots in flu vaccines.
I thought he meant that too...?
Who cares about whether 9/11 was an inside job, the non-conspiratorial fact remains that it served as a great excuse to get into Iraq. Let's change discussion to the REAL conspiracies.

Return to “Anything”