Tuesday May 12, 1998: Now they're really gonna play football

Revisiting old Ozy & Millie comics.

Moderator:Æron

NonsenseWords
Tuesday May 12, 1998: Now they're really gonna play football

Postby NonsenseWords » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:06 pm

Something odd about this punchline. I get Millie's, but Ozy's isn't... it's not really related to the actual joke. I get that he obviously doesn't pay attention to sports, but it detracts from the joke (itself not particularly good).

That couch is really distracting me now. The lack of shading lets he linework come through more clearly, but that couch is so busy that I'm kind of losing Millie against it.

Tom_Radigan

Re: Tuesday May 12, 1998: Now they're really gonna play football

Postby Tom_Radigan » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:38 pm

You're right about the couch. But I believe the idea of Ozy's comment is that it's not "football" in the non-American sense, i. e. soccer, which is where teams play the ball using their feet. In American football, teams never use their feet, except for the field goal kick.

Feefers

Postby Feefers » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:11 pm

Cribbage, is quite complex, but looks nothing like football, or soccer, given is uses cards.

Apart from the word being slightly amusing (Cribbage) any ideas why to pick on this card game?

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:05 pm

Because Cribbage is a very dull, very complex game, usually played by old people. It's funny because it's the converse.
If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. (Revelation 2:5, NIV)
Josh Woodward, Ohio Singer/Songwriter, offers his songs for free. Give him a listen.

Burning Sheep Productions

Postby Burning Sheep Productions » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:57 am

I remember this one fondly. The joke isn't big but it fulfils a task of familiarising the audience with the characters in their normal setting.
Burning Sheep Productions

Hyperion

Postby Hyperion » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:27 am

I agree with what BSP said. :dragon:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Avatar by kurorakuen, Shienvien. Used with permission.

Cactus Jack

Postby Cactus Jack » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:37 pm

Having a secondary, not neccasarily related, joke is something O&M does alot, and I think it is done successfully. Usually it is in a fourth panel, but I think it works fine here. I do wonder why Millie is watching football in the first place, but I have a feeling I'm not suppose to ask questions like that

cougartiger

Postby cougartiger » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:41 am

My guess is she was flipping through the channels, saw the game and stopped to watch for a bit. I don't like sports but even I do that sometimes.
My Deviant Art page, home of my epic biography of Captain Lucius Locke, The Pirate's Tale.
Now including artwork!

http://cougartiger.deviantart.com/

sad jazz cantaloupe

Postby sad jazz cantaloupe » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:02 am

I think Ozy's punchline is pretty funny, it must just be because I'm american
Apologies to everyone. Except Fritz.
First of all, Fritz, do yourself a favor and research your own answers before you post.

NonsenseWords

Postby NonsenseWords » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:58 am

...so am I. I just really do not appreciate this joke, I guess.

Arloest
Moderator (retired)

Postby Arloest » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:39 am

I just want to make here on how different these individual strip topics are from the original new strip topics. The original ones were (for the most part) showered with praise, except for the later ones that sucked. Now it seems to be mostly criticisms. Not saying one is better than the other, but either it shows how much this board has change or how bad the original strips actually were.
Who sleeps shall awake, greeting the shadows from the sun
Who sleeps shall awake, looking through the window of our lives
Waiting for the moment to arrive...
Show us the silence in the rise,
So that we may someday understand...

sad jazz cantaloupe

Postby sad jazz cantaloupe » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:15 am

personally I'm a little bugged by the "this strip isn't funny" in every single thread. If you don't even think the old strips were good, I wonder why they joined DC the first place?
First of all, Fritz, do yourself a favor and research your own answers before you post.

NonsenseWords

Postby NonsenseWords » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:45 am

Every single thread? Au contraire. There are a couple that just aren't that good, and it's due to different perceptions of humor. For instance: I don't watch sports at all (even through channel surfing), and I think this is a weird way to setup a punchline, therefore, I don't appreciate the strip. I thought the next one -- bath accessories -- was cute. I think several of these so far are cute. I just don't like the ones that are blatantly ripping into a particular politician, or... well, ones that are kind of obtuse to me.

sad jazz cantaloupe

Postby sad jazz cantaloupe » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:11 pm

What's weird about you not liking this particular punchline, is that it's designed for people who don't like sports. I would understand you not liking it if you did like sports lol
I guess you have to not like sports for a specific reason to find it funny

Liz
Staff

Postby Liz » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:45 pm

I've noticed the whole, "This strip sucks" in almost every single thread too. I only went through the archive for the first time two and half years ago or so and I particularly enjoyed the earlier comics a lot (although, to be honest, I never finished the entire archive so I can't really say that the newer strips suck that much) and that was half the reason I joined DC. I other half was because Jason was on here ;P But really, do they suck that much?

I suppose I can't really say much about everyone's current opinions because I was never around five or seven years ago. I don't know how everyone was then. I can only go by what I've read so far and judging by that, it seems like everyone was far different five to seven years ago. Of course, I'm a firm believer that people grow and mature over time and I guess it's like rewatching childhood cartoons as an adult. Things just aren't the same as they were when you watched them years ago.

As for me, I think I can relate to this strip. I'm not much of a sports person so I find the punchline to be amusing.

Return to “The O&M Archaeological Committee”