Friday, May 22, 1998: International diplomacy, part 2

Revisiting old Ozy & Millie comics.

Moderator:Æron

NonsenseWords
Re: Friday, May 22, 1998: International diplomacy, part 2

Postby NonsenseWords » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:44 pm

Actually, it's practically a law, and it would mean that we're now looking behind them and Ozy inexplicably turned around between the two panels. The reason it's considered a no-no for any visual medium is because it's visually jarring, and your audience will often get confused about where you are. Here, it's okay due to the fact that there's practically no background, but if there were it would either mean the background would change and we would get 'lost' as to where the image is facing, or Millie inexplicably circumnavigated the globe just to retrieve the hose and poor Ozy has been left standing there for months waiting for her to get back.

Which would explain why she reminds him that she's the United States in the final panel, since I'd forget what we were doing in that amount of time, too...

Muninn
Moderator (retired)

Postby Muninn » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:27 pm

It still didn't confuse me since when I saw they had switched where they were standing, I logically thought we were looking at them from the opposite side as from the last panel.

NonsenseWords

Postby NonsenseWords » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:31 pm

Again; lack of a background, no context. In this particular instance, it's not confusing, but it's still something you're not supposed to do.

sad jazz cantaloupe

Postby sad jazz cantaloupe » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:05 am

I don't know about you guys, but I would think it would be 400% funnier than any other strip if there were actual detail and background, and the characters inexplicably switched places. I hardly would call that a bad mistake :P
Apologies to everyone. Except Fritz.
First of all, Fritz, do yourself a favor and research your own answers before you post.

Return to “The O&M Archaeological Committee”