October 10, 2009

Talk about recent Raine Dog comics.
Kuro
Re: October 10, 2009

Postby Kuro » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:36 pm

Long time reader, first time poster because what Simson is doing is pissing me off! Why the hell does it take weeks, and weeks and WEEKS to ONLY post TWO pages? "

Also I don't think Simpson took very much time planning this comic at ALL, It's sloppy, jumpy, the arts bad, and Raine dog is a preachy, uppity pain in the ass!

Hopefully when the "Graphic Novel" He/She/It Whatever will go back to :millie: :ozy: and NOT ruin them.

Foxchild

Postby Foxchild » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:37 pm

Well, welcome Kuro, and good to know that the sentient isn't held only here!
If you've done things right, people won't be sure if you've done anything at all.

Kuro

Postby Kuro » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:47 pm

Well, welcome Kuro, and good to know that the sentient isn't held only here!

Oh I have been here since O&M and thought that Raine Dog would be just as good, but for pants sakes Simpson needs to get It's head out of it's ass and stop trying to be some uppity preachy snop... ._.

And thank you for the welcome ^^

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:49 pm

If the dog biscuits are some sort of synthesised meat-replacing foodstuff, you'd think that it would be mentioned somewhere in the dialogue, because it's a kind of important point. You can't just assume that your audience will guess that nutritional technology in this society enables dogs to be vegetarians. It'll just look like an inconsistency.
Why? No where in the story does it explain why dogs can talk. Dogs (and most pet-animals, apparently) are essentially the same as humans in this story, except for being oppressed by the true humans. Since humans can be vegetarians, it's not that big of a leap of faith that the other humanoid creatures can be too.
There is no need to explain why dogs can talk, just as there is no need to explain in any detail how the magic vegetarian dog biscuits came about. That dogs can talk, however, is made quite obvious by the demonstration of dogs talking, and that could not possibly be construed as an inconsistency (nobody's going to say "Dogs can't talk! DCS has no idea what she's talking about!"). It's as though you were reading a sci-fi novel; you would be quite happy to accept the concepts of laser guns and matter transporters, but if it was pointed out that the protagonist ate only grapes for sustenance and this was never explained, it would raise an eyebrow or two.
If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. (Revelation 2:5, NIV)
Josh Woodward, Ohio Singer/Songwriter, offers his songs for free. Give him a listen.

Kuro

Postby Kuro » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:51 pm

If the dog biscuits are some sort of synthesised meat-replacing foodstuff, you'd think that it would be mentioned somewhere in the dialogue, because it's a kind of important point. You can't just assume that your audience will guess that nutritional technology in this society enables dogs to be vegetarians. It'll just look like an inconsistency.
Why? No where in the story does it explain why dogs can talk. Dogs (and most pet-animals, apparently) are essentially the same as humans in this story, except for being oppressed by the true humans. Since humans can be vegetarians, it's not that big of a leap of faith that the other humanoid creatures can be too.
There is no need to explain why dogs can talk, just as there is no need to explain in any detail how the magic vegetarian dog biscuits came about. That dogs can talk, however, is made quite obvious by the demonstration of dogs talking, and that could not possibly be construed as an inconsistency (nobody's going to say "Dogs can't talk! DCS has no idea what she's talking about!"). It's as though you were reading a sci-fi novel; you would be quite happy to accept the concepts of laser guns and matter transporters, but if it was pointed out that the protagonist ate only grapes for sustenance and this was never explained, it would raise an eyebrow or two.

Basically we are only willing to believe only So much bullshit before we go "Wait that's not right..."

NonsenseWords

Postby NonsenseWords » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:01 pm

I do think taking malnutrition into consideration when discussing this strips flaws is kind of moot, since, you know, dogs can't talk or anything either. For all we know its MAGIC veggie snacks that fulfill a dog's daily meat quota.

Devil's advocate etc
The main thing about this inconsistency is that it comes in a strip that explicitly focuses on the fact that dogs are NOT NATURALLY VEGETARIAN.

Which makes one naturally say, "Well, why's that?" And then the logic that dogs are literally biologically incapable of processing plant matter, and there's no hand-waving that dogs have evolved to be able to process plant matter.

If this was a little incidental bit of flavor, then I wouldn't mind or even take note of it. But the entire arc installment is Raine explicitly stating that it's not natural to eat vegetarian dog snacks and that it's her choice to go against nature. She calls attention to it. How are we supposed to just suspend disbelief because she explicitly states it's unnatural?

sad jazz cantaloupe

Postby sad jazz cantaloupe » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:58 pm

because it's a parallel to DCS's unnatural transsexualism?
Apologies to everyone. Except Fritz.
First of all, Fritz, do yourself a favor and research your own answers before you post.

likeafox
Administrator

Postby likeafox » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:10 pm

I agree with nickspoon and NonsenseWords.

Dogs walking and talking has been presented by the author as fact.

The issue of essential nutrients hasn't been dealt with in a similar way at all.

NonsenseWords

Postby NonsenseWords » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:45 pm

because it's a parallel to DCS's unnatural transsexualism?
Oh, well, never mind then. Logic doesn't matter now!

Blizzard

Postby Blizzard » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:13 am

When I scrolled down to read this thread, this is exactly what was on my screen.

Arloest
Moderator (retired)

Postby Arloest » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:28 am

The issue of essential nutrients hasn't been dealt with in a similar way at all.

I wanted to continue debating my earlier point but then I realized that I'm debating pantsless Raine Dog and that just won't do.
Who sleeps shall awake, greeting the shadows from the sun
Who sleeps shall awake, looking through the window of our lives
Waiting for the moment to arrive...
Show us the silence in the rise,
So that we may someday understand...

Doc Sigma

Postby Doc Sigma » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:06 am

I for one will only debate Raine Dog when she's wearing pants.

IceDragon

Postby IceDragon » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:04 pm

I wanted to continue debating my earlier point but then I realized that I'm debating pantsless Raine Dog and that just won't do.
You could just yell and scream at the comic. I do that.

Doc Sigma

Postby Doc Sigma » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:30 pm

I print out copies of Raine Dog and use them to wipe my ass.

Cactus Jack

Postby Cactus Jack » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:37 pm

I for one will only debate Raine Dog when she's wearing pants.

But she doesn't wear pants. Like all the cool humans she wears a coat and nothing else.

Return to “Raine Dog Strips”