August 1st, 2009

Talk about recent Raine Dog comics.
Chris

Postby Chris » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:57 am

When he still listens to his fans, DCS is capable of drawing a good comic. Ozy and millie was a good comic because DCS cared for his fans and he listens to the feedbacks he gets whether it's bad or not and tries to put it in ozy and millie to improve it.

Personally, listening to your fans can be beneficial for your comic from time to time and it might help where your comic is going...

As for rainedog...lets just say that it's a disaster and it shows how DCS degraded real bad.

Yes, i still call him a he because i can.

Burning Sheep Productions

Postby Burning Sheep Productions » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:36 am

If I were a webcomic artist I'd be annoyed at people going "Ach, what were you thinking?!?" every time I wrote a bad storyline. DCS was doing whatever she wanted to do with her comic. She doesn't write comics for you guys, she writes them because she wants to, and chooses to share them with you. Just felt like I had to say that, feel free to correct me if you think I'm wrong.
What did you do with Muffinsticks?
Burning Sheep Productions

Muninn
Moderator (retired)

Postby Muninn » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:37 pm

I don't think artists should pay heed to what their audience wants TOO much. No matter what they do there's bound to be a crowd who'll like it anyway. They should focus more on being better at what they like to do.

Foxchild

Postby Foxchild » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:42 pm

Much like with cooking;

If you're cooking for only yourself, cook however and whatever you feel like!

If you're cooking in a restaurant, putting your food out there for people to eat and return for your food, it has to be enjoyable for them. Otherwise, your customers won't return.
If you've done things right, people won't be sure if you've done anything at all.

MuffinSticks

Postby MuffinSticks » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:41 pm

I see what you guys are saying, and you're all completely right. By not listening to the fans too much and doing whatever you want, I simply meant to the extent of doing things that you deeply don't want to do. There's nothing wrong with constructive criticism, for example, if the artist is just plain bad at drawing and fans are helping him/her get better in certain aspects, but when it gets to the point of people bitching about storylines and such that perhaps don't particularly appeal to the fans, the fans need to remember that the artist has no obligation to entertain them. It's true that they need fans or they won't have any funding, but they need to limit their blatant fan-appeal, or, like I said, it isn't THEIR comic anymore.

Yeah, I agree that DCS has done too much "navel gazing" as IceDragon calls it, but I'm mostly speaking hypothetically. Also, I wasn't aware of the thing about DCS calling people "normies", as whoever said. DCS has crossed into trying way too hard to only do what she wants. I don't like it at all, but if I was in her position, I would try some fan appeal. I'm pretty ridiculously adamant when it comes to doing whatever makes you happy and not giving a shit if other people don't like it, but again, there's an extent to that, as with pretty much everything else.

I don't really know what my point is anymore, I'm bad at arguments. I guess I'm just saying that I'm not necessarily supporting DCS, but I'm pretty sure she's aware that she's only making her own hole deeper in continuing to only appeal to herself, so if she wants to do what she wants with her comic and knowingly fuсk it all up, then whatever. Hopefully for her, like what Muninn said, there's a fanbase for you no matter what you do. I doubt it in this case though.

I have no ability whatsoever to correct my own writing, so hopefully that block of text meant something. If not, lul you just read all that for no reason.
КТО ТРОГАЛ МОЯ ПУШКА

<Muninn> Too furry for saneville, too girly for boystown
see, how far raine dog got placed in the background? take that you blue bitch

sad jazz cantaloupe

Postby sad jazz cantaloupe » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:02 pm

I've always agreed with MuffinSticks on pretty much everything.
Apologies to everyone. Except Fritz.
First of all, Fritz, do yourself a favor and research your own answers before you post.

Quexinos

Postby Quexinos » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:07 pm

Ignoring the recent points posted (I did read them I just have no input) a while back someone said maybe she's going to meet Jeff again... god they better not make out again :?
Quexinos - Worse than Hitler

cougartiger

Postby cougartiger » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:36 pm

Ignoring the recent points posted (I did read them I just have no input) a while back someone said maybe she's going to meet Jeff again... god they better not make out again :?
That was me. The dialogue seems to imply that he's going to try to claim ownership of RD. I doubt they'll make out again though it might be referenced.

I'm actually interested in seeing how this plays out.
My Deviant Art page, home of my epic biography of Captain Lucius Locke, The Pirate's Tale.
Now including artwork!

http://cougartiger.deviantart.com/

sad jazz cantaloupe

Postby sad jazz cantaloupe » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:48 am

personally I wouldn't think they would actually want to try and reclaim her, they'll probably have gotten a new dog if anything. While that might make the fact that this strip mentioned the possibility of them trying to reclaim her an "unnecessary detail", I think DCS would be likely to include it anyway.
First of all, Fritz, do yourself a favor and research your own answers before you post.

likeafox
Administrator

Postby likeafox » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:57 am

On the Muffinsticks's point, I agree that an artist should not bend their own vision toward that of the audience, but I have to point out that artists rarely do art only for themselves, nor should they, because that isn't what art is about. Art is communication of complex ideas, and you need two people for communication. Creating art for only yourself is like sitting alone and speaking things to yourself that you already know.

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:16 am

Creating art for only yourself is like sitting alone and speaking things to yourself that you already know.
And there is nothing wrong with that.

Right?
If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. (Revelation 2:5, NIV)
Josh Woodward, Ohio Singer/Songwriter, offers his songs for free. Give him a listen.

Feefers

Postby Feefers » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:43 am

It will also reveal the secret mystery that nobody cares about of how much time has passed, bet now that Jeff is only a teen.

Feefers

Postby Feefers » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:46 am

I only just realised, so Raine comes home and wonders about the house naked?

... Why did she wear a coat out in ther first place?

Doc Sigma

Postby Doc Sigma » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:52 pm

That was me. The dialogue seems to imply that he's going to try to claim ownership of RD. I doubt they'll make out again though it might be referenced.

I'm actually interested in seeing how this plays out.
I predict RAPE RAPE RAPE RAPE RAPE, also rape.

sad jazz cantaloupe

Postby sad jazz cantaloupe » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:24 pm

I only just realised, so Raine comes home and wonders about the house naked?

... Why did she wear a coat out in ther first place?
it was probably cold.

Return to “Raine Dog Strips”