Girl Whose Disembowelment Led To Pool Legislation Dies

Everything that might be happening in our world today, tomorrow, or yesterday.

Moderator:Æron

Baconsticks
Girl Whose Disembowelment Led To Pool Legislation Dies

Postby Baconsticks » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:56 pm

http://www.ketv.com/news/15664664/detail.html

OMAHA, Neb. -- A 6-year-old girl who underwent a rare transplant surgery after her intestines were sucked out in a swimming pool has died in an Omaha hospital.

Abigail Taylor's family said she died Thursday evening. Bob Bennett is an attorney for the Taylor family. He said Abigail's parents were with her when she died at Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha.
sponsor

NMC's Paul Baltes confirmed to KETV NewsWatch 7 that Abigail died at the hospital, where she has been under care since the operation. Baltes was not sure whether an autopsy or exact cause of death would be released to the public.

Abigail was injured when she sat on a pool drain, and its powerful suction ripped out part of her intestinal tract on June 29. She underwent transplant surgery in December at the Nebraska hospital to receive a new small bowel, liver and pancreas.

University of Nebraska Medical Center Chief of Transplantation Dr. Alan Langas said in December that Abigail was one of the oldest patients he's seen to receive such a transplant. Langas said at the time many transplant patients are under age 2 and some are even less than a year old.

The girl's father said she was "in and out of it" after the transplant.

After the injury, Abigail had to get her nourishment through an intravenous tube. If successful, the transplant should have allowed her to eat just like any other kid.

She later suffered setbacks, including a cancerous condition sometimes triggered by organ transplants.

In 2006, there were 96 pediatric small bowel transplants performed at 16 medical centers in the United States, according to UNMC. The busiest program was Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami, performing 22 and the second busiest program was The Nebraska Medical Center, performing 14. The Nebraska Medical Center has performed about 4,800 solid organ transplants since the transplant program started in 1985.

The Minneapolis Star Tribune reported in November that Taylor's family filed suit against the pool manufacturer and the Minneapolis Golf Club.

"The suit blamed both the club, located in St. Louis Park, Minn, and Sta-Rite Industries, a pool equipment manufacturer owned by a Golden Valley company, for the accident, in which 21 feet of Abigail Taylor's small intestine were sucked out when she landed on an uncovered suction outlet in the kiddie pool in June," the paper reported.

In December, President George W. Bush signed The Virginia Graeme Baker Pool and Spa Safety Act of 2007, according to SafeKids.net. The legislation provides incentives for states to adopt comprehensive pool safety laws that will protect children from life-threatening injuries and deaths from potentially dangerous pool and spa drains.

Ouch.

rabid_fox

Postby rabid_fox » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:36 pm

Egads.
Thither

Tarukai

Postby Tarukai » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:01 pm

Egads.
My thought exactly.

Imagine having 21 feet of your small intestines ripped out while you're conscious. holy crap.
[00:34:00] <Dermy> I do love to manipulate the standard rules of language for opportunistic effect
[00:34:06] <Dermy> Like a grammar hyena, I am
[00:34:16] <Dermy> Munching on the tasty entrails of tradition

[22:26:20] <MuffinSticks> I'm a chocolate muffin with white ears and a striped black and red tail
[22:26:35] <MuffinSticks> And exactly 6 chips

My DA account, for those who care enough to look/click/etc.
And my FA account as well!

osprey

Postby osprey » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:43 am

O.M.F.G.
OK. pants it. I lied. It's drum and bass. What you gonna do?

Hyperion

Postby Hyperion » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:47 am

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Ouch.
Egads
O.M.F.G.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Avatar by kurorakuen, Shienvien. Used with permission.

GeorgiaCoyote

Postby GeorgiaCoyote » Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:23 pm

I've never heard of that happening. That seems so unreal to me that a pool drain could be that powerful. Apparently the manufacturer's of that pool pump didn't foresee that ever happening either. It's upsetting that it takes such a tragedy like this to reveal dangerous situations. My prayers for the family and all involved.
Nathan

Liz
Staff

Postby Liz » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:32 pm

o__o

Kazapsky

Postby Kazapsky » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:51 pm

This sounds like something out of Mythbusters. It's just so incredibly implausible that I really can't blame the manufacturers if they did miss something like that.

Implausible enough, in fact, that there's a good chance this "news" story is a hoax.

Æron

Postby Æron » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:10 pm

This sounds like something out of Mythbusters. It's just so incredibly implausible that I really can't blame the manufacturers if they did miss something like that.

Implausible enough, in fact, that there's a good chance this "news" story is a hoax.
I am inclined to agree.

gforce422

Postby gforce422 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:44 pm

I sincerely doubt it's a hoax.
Most people do not feel threatened by a pool’s circulation system, including the main drain intake on the bottom of the swimming pool, and the skimmer boxes along the side of the pool. However, if a person comes into contact with any of the suction intake lines of the circulation system (at either the main drain or skimmer intakes) causing the suction intake to be covered or obstructed, the immense suction of the pump forms an instant seal between the open end of the suction intake line and the person’s skin or clothing. This may occur if a person places their hand over the open end of the suction intake line or, as often happens with children, a person sits down on the suction intake. In either case, the force needed to pull them free often exceeds 800 pounds. The injuries, which are inflicted in a matter of a few seconds, are horrific, usually permanent and sometimes fatal. If a person, especially a child, is sucked onto the main drain suction intake on the bottom of the pool, they usually drown.
Since the 1980's there have been at least 147 incidents documented of suction entrapment in swimming pools, including 36 deaths.
gforce422 is awesome because:
-He made the absolute nicest comments about me in the other topic. I didn't respond to them yet, because I suck, but they are greatly appreciated! =D
-I would say he would also be a good runner up as one of the nicest people alive.
-He joined the IRC sometimes. But not enough, I say! Chat moar =D
-He is evidently only 18 year old but he could easily pass for 25. =D
-He is a drummer like *I* am and this in itself is cool.
Astro> gforce's smiles can cure cancer in kittens
Astro> the happiness radiating from your person is enough to solve tensor calculus
<mib_4do271>everything you touch explodes in pillows of happiness

Richard K Niner

Postby Richard K Niner » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:48 pm

[citation needed]
<center>Image
K9U | Dog House | Av rotation</center>

Æron

Postby Æron » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:52 pm

Uff dah. 800 pounds? I guess that would be plausible, then.

Tom Flapwell

Postby Tom Flapwell » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:05 pm

I doubt it's a hoax either, partly because of the time between the initial report of the incident and the report of her death months later.
See other much-maligned creatures in my webcomic: http://downscale.comicgenesis.com

Doc Sigma

Postby Doc Sigma » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:24 pm

...I think I am going to be sick.

Kazapsky

Postby Kazapsky » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:33 pm

...I think I am going to be sick.
Lean over the side of the boat.

Return to “World Events”