First Words

A place to talk about anything (that doesn't belong in the other forums).

Moderator:Æron

Tabris_The_17th

Postby Tabris_The_17th » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:26 am

I've been told my first word was "da-da-da-DAD!"
www.aiacrowd.com- Now updating every Tuesday and Friday!
"Like a post modern Peanuts with cat eared girls...kinda"

Tom Flapwell

Postby Tom Flapwell » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:12 pm

My first word was uninteresting (not the word "uninteresting," just... not worth mentioning). But a classmate told me his first word was "touchdown."
See other much-maligned creatures in my webcomic: http://downscale.comicgenesis.com

Talkie Toaster

Postby Talkie Toaster » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:33 am

My first word was "Duck!"

I was in the bath with a rubber duck, y'see.

Angstwolf

Postby Angstwolf » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:24 pm

I have no idea what my first word was, and finding out would require me to talk to my parents. :P

Doc Sigma

Postby Doc Sigma » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:33 pm

An ex-girlfriend of mine was kicked out of Kindergarten because she couldn't talk.

EDIT: ...no, she wasn't in Kindergarten when we were going out.

Talkie Toaster

Postby Talkie Toaster » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:49 pm

An ex-girlfriend of mine was kicked out of Kindergarten because she couldn't talk.
Seriously?! She was kicked out? Seems a bit harsh...
"It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live."

Doc Sigma

Postby Doc Sigma » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:58 pm

Yeah it does seem harsh, and were she my kid I probably would have sued, but it doesn't matter anyway. Because, well, it turns out that she COULD talk, just fine... she just hid this fact from EVERYBODY (including her parents) for years.

She was a real piece of work.

Caoimhin
Location:In the magical land of Jersey... Watch your step and don't trip on the cows.

Postby Caoimhin » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:03 pm

I have never heard of someone being kicked out Kindergarten because they couldn't speak, thats just not right.

Not entirely sure what my first word was but according to my parents I had my own "dialect". "Iggy" was a common word that I used, it was the name I gave to my stuffed blue sheep. Also a "foo" was a horse and I would yell it out every time I saw a horse (even when I could speak properly for a few years afterword, before Kindergarten, I would yell out "foo" possibly because of early Tourettes).

Doc Sigma

Postby Doc Sigma » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:10 pm

I have never heard of someone being kicked out Kindergarten because they couldn't speak, thats just not right.
I agree, I totally agree, but LET'S FLIP THE COIN!

Have you ever heard of a 5- or 6-year old who couldn't speak? Not including children with some sort of mental disability, although I guess even if you have no other disabilities, the fact that you can't speak would be a disability in itself... AND MY LOGIC HAS EATEN ITSELF. :(

Caoimhin
Location:In the magical land of Jersey... Watch your step and don't trip on the cows.

Postby Caoimhin » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:35 pm

That isn't exactly normal, no. Maybe I'm thinking it was too much like the present, where help for children who have such problems may be much more available. It would be sad if someone was put in Special Ed. just because they couldn't speak despite the fact of having normal intelligence. So maybe it was better for her to be turned away. Now the Special Ed. programs in most schools probably do a lot more than mental disabilities, such as helping people who just need to learn to speak, or possibly if either born or become mute permanently teach them how to work around it. Topics like these really get me thinking...

Doc Sigma

Postby Doc Sigma » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:42 pm

I know. Things have changed so much in such a relatively short period of time. Like, when I was in Kindergarten in 1985, our teacher forced the entire class to be right-handed.

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:52 pm

My first word was "Duck!"
My first word was apparently also "duck". Hurray for creepy coincidences.
If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. (Revelation 2:5, NIV)
Josh Woodward, Ohio Singer/Songwriter, offers his songs for free. Give him a listen.

Caoimhin

Postby Caoimhin » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:53 pm

I know. Things have changed so much in such a relatively short period of time. Like, when I was in Kindergarten in 1985, our teacher forced the entire class to be right-handed.
Really? I thought that was done away with more than a century ago. I went to Kindergarten in 1996, so I would clearly not have experienced the same kind of treatment. I was loud, and the teacher couldn't control me. I was constantly on the "Oops Board" (sometimes up to five times a day). You can get an idea of what the Oops Board was by the name, but they dealt with me even though they had no clue what was wrong yet. And even then they had me go to Speech Therapy because of my speech impediment (how they knew it was there when everyone sounded like six or five year olds, I don't know).

Doc Sigma

Postby Doc Sigma » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:03 pm

Yeah, our Kindergarten teacher was actually a 3rd grade teacher who had never taught Kindergarten before. She would punish this one kid by putting him in a box, seriously.

Tom Flapwell

Postby Tom Flapwell » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:16 pm

Really? I thought that was done away with more than a century ago.
My naturally left-handed grandmother was made to write right-handed, but I think it was her parents rather than her teachers who enforced it. She never exactly got good at it.
See other much-maligned creatures in my webcomic: http://downscale.comicgenesis.com

Return to “Anything”