Computer advice? (file recovery)

A place to talk about anything (that doesn't belong in the other forums).

Moderator:Æron

Steve the Pocket
Computer advice? (file recovery)

Postby Steve the Pocket » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:00 pm

I'm in a bit of a pickle. As mentioned in my LiveJournal yesterday, my computer decided to randomly disappear my entire collection of full-resolution "Podunk U" strips, including the colorized ones. Luckily I had started production on a potential book collection already, and thus had a Word document containing all the strips from its actual run, EXCEPT for the ones I redrew from scratch and colorized for this summer's filler feature. I could, theoretically, just go back and re-scan and recolor all of them exactly as they were, or as close as I can come, but I don't want to have to do that if I can help it.

I have managed to retrieve the files in question using PC Inspector File Recovery; however, because my hard drive is so crammed full of junk, they had already begun to get overwritten and are now corrupted to the point of being unreadable. I'm currently operating off a different hard drive for the time being, so that it doesn't get any worse, but I'm wondering three things:

(1) Do any of you bigger-nerds-than-me out there know of better programs than PCI File Recovery that might be able restore the files better? Or...

(2) Do any of you know of software that can take the already-recovered files and repair them so that they're good as new? We're talking both PSDs and TIFFs, if at all possible. And if so...

(3) Can I get said program(s) anywhere for free or very cheap (say, less than $30 total)? All the restoration programs I've found cost money, in some cases a LOT of money, and their free "demo" versions add watermarks or are limited to smaller files than these. As much as I hate to say this, pirated versions are welcome.

Dr. Doog

Postby Dr. Doog » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:31 pm

you can try to extract all the lost files with a magnet.
pants jesus
DCS should've ended the comic a year or two ago.

Æron

Postby Æron » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:58 pm

you can try to extract all the lost files with a magnet.
NO! Bad Doog!

Edit:

Octan,
I found a program called EasyRecovery Professional that can both recover and repair corrupt files. Unfortunately, it is incredibly expensive, so I've found you a pirated version. (If you are willing to use a pirated version, that is).

here it is

It is a torrent, so you'll need a bittorrent client to download it. If you don't already have one, I recommend uTorrent.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:16 pm

I may have to wait till I'm back at school to get it. If torrent clients aren't blocked by the network.

Softpaw

Postby Softpaw » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:17 pm

I PMed you about this.

Tavis
Moderator (retired)

Postby Tavis » Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:50 pm

o.o Oh, this reminds me of another program I was using for file recovery... probably not much help now that so much has been done to the media in question, but...

PC Inspector File Recovery is a freeware file recovery program. It requires installation though. I would hope you're not writing or actively using the drive on which you just lost your data anyway, but if you do, installation might overwrite some of what you're trying to recover. If you have another drive/system to use, that would be so much better.

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:55 pm

PC Inspector File Recovery is a freeware file recovery program. It requires installation though. I would hope you're not writing or actively using the drive on which you just lost your data anyway, but if you do, installation might overwrite some of what you're trying to recover. If you have another drive/system to use, that would be so much better.
I have managed to retrieve the files in question using PC Inspector File Recovery
Last edited by Steve the Pocket on Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Doog

Postby Dr. Doog » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:48 pm

BBCode failure.
pants jesus
DCS should've ended the comic a year or two ago.

Tavis
Moderator (retired)

Postby Tavis » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:22 am

I have managed to retrieve the files in question using PC Inspector File Recovery
Duh. That's what I get for skimming the topic post. :P I was so concerned about getting a quick response in that I overlooked key points. Unfortunately, I am about as far behind in file recovery as you are and compensate by maintaining backups on a combination of write-once and rewritable DVDs.

As far as performing repairs on badly recovered image files, I don't believe there are programs available for that. I hope Vicious Reasoning, FelixSoftpaw and other responders had better information. :sad:

Return to “Anything”