A hindrance to furries?

A place to talk about anything (that doesn't belong in the other forums).

Moderator:Æron

Novil Ariandis
Re: A hindrance to furries?

Postby Novil Ariandis » Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:17 pm

Heh, how convenient that you do not quote the part where I said something to the effect of "this isn't ment to be a serious topic, let's just go along with it".
No, you didn't say that, at least I don't find it in here:
An excerpt from Richard Dawkins' The Ancestor's Tale...

Or maybe even... furries?

I know that most furries who have avatars of themselves in anthro form do it because they want one and the anatomical difficulties (apparently) posed by tails are the least of their worries.
I'm not telling them to change but this paragraph made me think of them. What if this actually was true for furries, their tails being a hindrance? It may look cute and cuddly but it may also impend their walking.

Sandra and Woo: my webcomic about the adventures of the girl Sandra and her raccoon Woo

Tom Flapwell

Postby Tom Flapwell » Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:12 am

You may recall that Sully's chair in Monsters, Inc. had a hole in it. Only upon viewing the DVD extras did I and my family understand that it was for his tail.

FerretParade

Postby FerretParade » Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:02 pm

Give Jack some credit man...I think you are pretty dumb if you think he was like seriously valuing the importance of this article. Either that or you are one big interent butt...hehe. Anyone can tell it's just a fun what-if topic.

In other words knock it off with the flame bait 'cause I will totally go for it.

Tom Flapwell

Postby Tom Flapwell » Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:33 pm

I hadn't heard of Richard Dawkins before this thread, but he's come up on another webcomic forum and (I think) one of the LiveJournals I read lately as well. Sheesh.

Muninn
Moderator (retired)

Postby Muninn » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:46 pm

The part I quoted from the book should be taken seriosuly IF the subject interests you. The connection to furries was and is a what-if idea, like Fanatic said, and if people can't read into that then they should be a little more careful.

Holyman83
Location:A bluish sphere in space orbiting a star in the Milky Way

Postby Holyman83 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:04 am

I think color blindness would be a far greater problem than a fuzzy little tail, but all of it is things that you could get use to. (as for the eye, just use human eyes :-P)

Muninn
Moderator (retired)

Postby Muninn » Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:54 am

Actually in some cases, dichromats (two-way colours) have a special condition where they see a certain colour more vividly than maybe even trichromats (three-way colour) and use it to their advantage. Also, birds and turtles are tetrachromatic (four-way colour).

Tom Flapwell

Postby Tom Flapwell » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:36 pm

Fully colorblind people are better at seeing in the dark.

Rooster

Postby Rooster » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:31 pm

My friend is fully colourblind. Never seems to slow him down much, except, he's not allowed to drive a vehicle.

osprey

Postby osprey » Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:41 am

I know someone who is partially colourblind...basically, he sees different colours than us.
OK. pants it. I lied. It's drum and bass. What you gonna do?

Raz

Postby Raz » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:35 pm

I think color blindness would be a far greater problem than a fuzzy little tail, but all of it is things that you could get use to. (as for the eye, just use human eyes :-P)
As far as I know, most mammals can see green and blue, but not red... Which is why animals that appear red-ish and easy to see to us (like Tigers) are really well camouflaged for most other mammals... Cause instead of red, they see green. :-P

But I don't think that would be much of a problem...

The MAZZTer
Location:Destiny, several billion light years from Earth. Also known as Vancouver.

Postby The MAZZTer » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:20 am

My friend is fully colourblind. Never seems to slow him down much, except, he's not allowed to drive a vehicle.
Huh? I thought, at least in the US, this was legal (eg you know how traffic lights have different bulbs for each color).

Muninn
Moderator (retired)

Postby Muninn » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:02 pm

Huh? I thought, at least in the US, this was legal (eg you know how traffic lights have different bulbs for each color).
Can they tell when they're lit up? If they can it shouldn't be a problem.

Loeln

Postby Loeln » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:06 am

Honestly; the human body is without any extended tail for a reason.
Asuna Kagurazaka, Negima Magister Nyoro~nEgi Magi

CodeCat

Postby CodeCat » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:14 am

I doubt the invention of the car, door, bike and shoe would have had much influence on the evolution of humans, though. :P
Furries? Are they the nutters that pretend to be animals and draw humans that look like animals? Christ, I sink my head into my paws... -Rooster

Return to “Anything”