Next gen... wha?

A place to talk about anything (that doesn't belong in the other forums).

Moderator:Æron

Which next gen console do you most want?

Nintendo Wii
55%
PlayStation 3
8%
XBox 360
8%
Consoles suck, <3 PC
30%

Total votes: 40

Simba Cub
Next gen... wha?

Postby Simba Cub » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:48 pm

So, anyone here going next gen with the games consoles? If so, which are you hankering after?

I'm up for a, uh, "Revolution" (I can't write wii there!)

Rich::

The MAZZTer
Location:Destiny, several billion light years from Earth. Also known as Vancouver.

Postby The MAZZTer » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:59 pm

Poll needs to be multiple choice.

I am hopefully going to get a Wii and Zelda next wiik. <3

Holyman83
Location:A bluish sphere in space orbiting a star in the Milky Way

Postby Holyman83 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:01 pm

and this little piggy goes Wii Wii Wii all the way home:)

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:18 pm

Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiii.
If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. (Revelation 2:5, NIV)
Josh Woodward, Ohio Singer/Songwriter, offers his songs for free. Give him a listen.

Tabris_The_17th

Postby Tabris_The_17th » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:35 pm

I voted PS3, not that I intend on getting one, but because if I was it would be the way to go for me. I just don't play video games regularly enough anymore (with the exception of Guitar Hero I and II, which are my life, lol) to warrent paying $500-$600 for a new system. That's seems absurd to me.

Now, I've always been a huge Nintendo fanboy and have gotten every one of their systems since the NES (except for the Virtual Boy.......*snicker*). Mainly because I just wanted to play the new Mario, Starfox, etc. But the Wii just irritates me for several reasons:

1. The Controller - Nintendo says they're out to traget people who don't usually play video games...........that's nice, but how about those of us who do? I know A LOT of people who just want a normal controller (not a ninja weapon :ninja: ). Sure, the remote motion sensor has a lot of promise. But I can't get over the feeling after some time it's going to feel WAY too gimmicky. Considering Nintendo's track record, I feel they'll start to focus more on ways of using the controller and less on making a quality game.

2. The graphics - The graphics of the Nintendo Wii back up my point about focusing too much on the gimmick of the controller. Now, graphics are not the most important thing to me when playing a game. However, if I'm going to shell out $250 for a new system, I would expect a significant graphical improvement. But the Wii is only slightly better than the Gamecube. Nintendo's excuse in that respect was so they could keep the system's price low, but once again I feel a move like that doesn't have the loyal gamers best interests at heart. If you can buy Zelda on the Gamecube and the Wii and have them look very much alike, something's very wrong.

3. Launch Titles - Aside from Zelda, which is available on the Gamecube as well, what's honestly worth it that's exclusive to Nintendo?

4. Finally, the past two Nintendo systems have shown that the company has a bad habit of abandoning their systems before the peak of their lifetime. For the first few years the N64 and Gamecube were out, Nintendo released many high quality games that you just HAD to get. However, the last 2 years or so of each system's life was left dry when it came to killer Nintendo titles. Once in a great while they'd put out something, but mostly the systems were/ are just saturated with licensed crap. Yet the PS2, while not quite as much as one may like, still puts out some really awesome titles even when the PS3 is about to launch (Guitar Hero II and Okami anyone?). People seem to forget about the inevitable Nintendo drought period, and like lambs to the slaughter run for the Nintendo Wii.

Seriously, before you run to the Wii, ask yourself: will this system really revolutionize the game industry, or will be just be a home to gimmicks, licensed properties, and ports of older stuff a few years down the road? For Nintendo's sake, I'm hoping for a revolution.
www.aiacrowd.com- Now updating every Tuesday and Friday!
"Like a post modern Peanuts with cat eared girls...kinda"

Luke B.

Postby Luke B. » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:57 pm

Seriously, before you run to the Wii, ask yourself: will this system really revolutionize the game industry, or will be just be a home to gimmicks, licensed properties, and ports of older stuff a few years down the road? For Nintendo's sake, I'm hoping for a revolution.
Just look at how the DS destroyed the PSP. I got no worries. 8)

Glenn565

Postby Glenn565 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:08 pm

3. Launch Titles - Aside from Zelda, which is available on the Gamecube as well, what's honestly worth it that's exclusive to Nintendo?
All of them are "exclusive." They all have different control schemes then the other versions on different consoles do. For example, In Marvel: Ultimate Alliance you use the Wiimote to use specific motions for the characters abilities and access to all characters special moves at any time. In the other versions you have to access a menu to use them.

The MAZZTer
Location:Destiny, several billion light years from Earth. Also known as Vancouver.

Postby The MAZZTer » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:25 pm

I voted PS3, not that I intend on getting one, but because if I was it would be the way to go for me. I just don't play video games regularly enough anymore (with the exception of Guitar Hero I and II, which are my life, lol) to warrent paying $500-$600 for a new system. That's seems absurd to me.
So why did you vote for it if you don't think it's worth the price? That's part of the point.
Now, I've always been a huge Nintendo fanboy and have gotten every one of their systems since the NES (except for the Virtual Boy.......*snicker*). Mainly because I just wanted to play the new Mario, Starfox, etc. But the Wii just irritates me for several reasons:
You just pointed out the strongest point of every Nintendo console: the great franchises.
1. The Controller - Nintendo says they're out to traget people who don't usually play video games...........that's nice, but how about those of us who do? I know A LOT of people who just want a normal controller (not a ninja weapon :ninja: ). Sure, the remote motion sensor has a lot of promise. But I can't get over the feeling after some time it's going to feel WAY too gimmicky. Considering Nintendo's track record, I feel they'll start to focus more on ways of using the controller and less on making a quality game.
The reviewers of Zelda: TP would say this is bull. I hear the game is awesomely fun to play with the Wiimote. You only capture part of Nintendo's goal... they want to also show existing gamers new ways to play games, as well as to invite old gamers who no longer play games back with new experiences. I predict the Wiimote will accomplish these nicely.

It's worth noting that Super Smash Bros Brawl will use "classic" controllers. :)
2. The graphics - The graphics of the Nintendo Wii back up my point about focusing too much on the gimmick of the controller. Now, graphics are not the most important thing to me when playing a game. However, if I'm going to shell out $250 for a new system, I would expect a significant graphical improvement. But the Wii is only slightly better than the Gamecube. Nintendo's excuse in that respect was so they could keep the system's price low, but once again I feel a move like that doesn't have the loyal gamers best interests at heart. If you can buy Zelda on the Gamecube and the Wii and have them look very much alike, something's very wrong.
If graphics were everything, gamers would be touring the Eiffel Tower, the Grand Canyon, Space Needle... etc instead of playing games all the time.

The Wii is something like 2x the graphical power of the GameCube. But I don't really care. People bought the NES back in the day, and it wasn't for the realistic graphics. I honestly don't care if I can't see a world reflection in Link's sword, as long as I can kick @$$ with it.
The DS had a similar problem. At first I was concerned that I should've gone for the more expensive PSP. My concerns have since been laid to rest.

Even now though, Excite Truck looks interesting, and Red Steel is definitely looks like a good game.
4. Finally, the past two Nintendo systems have shown that the company has a bad habit of abandoning their systems before the peak of their lifetime. For the first few years the N64 and Gamecube were out, Nintendo released many high quality games that you just HAD to get. However, the last 2 years or so of each system's life was left dry when it came to killer Nintendo titles. Once in a great while they'd put out something, but mostly the systems were/ are just saturated with licensed crap. Yet the PS2, while not quite as much as one may like, still puts out some really awesome titles even when the PS3 is about to launch (Guitar Hero II and Okami anyone?). People seem to forget about the inevitable Nintendo drought period, and like lambs to the slaughter run for the Nintendo Wii.
Sony has had the advantage of backwards compatibility. They could afford to continue to release new games for their old console because their new console could play the games. Thus there was less loss in profits, because new console owners could play the new old games as well. Nintendo has not had this advantage until recently, given their cartridge formats.

Zelda is going to be released for the GameCube as well as the Wii, and and GC version will play on the Wii because of the backwards compatibility.

GBA titles also continue to be released, including the upcoming Pokemon Rescue Team Red, and are fully playable on a DS.
THE REVOLUTION WILL BE TELEVISED.
Last edited by The MAZZTer on Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Burning Sheep Productions

Postby Burning Sheep Productions » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:32 pm

There's no "None" option?
Burning Sheep Productions

The MAZZTer

Postby The MAZZTer » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:37 pm

Yeah, there needs to be a "Consoles suck, <3 PC" option.

Tom Flapwell

Postby Tom Flapwell » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:47 pm

This isn't the first sign I've seen that this forum disproportionately favors Nintendo. I wonder if that says something about our maturity.... (Relax, I voted for the Wii, too.)

Luke B.

Postby Luke B. » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:48 pm

Me, I just picked up a ps2 for cheap. I"ll probably get a ps3 when the ps4 is out. But I'll be getting a Wii as soon as I can.

santi
Location:Milky Way, Solar System, Earth, SAmeruca, Colombia, Armenia, My House, in front of the Drawing Table

Postby santi » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:42 am

wii 4 zelda, smash bros and batallion wars 2. and the cool controller, even if it has only 128 bit graphics like da gamecube

Richard K Niner

Postby Richard K Niner » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:45 am

Wii. Why? Because it's the only one within my tiny little budget.
<center>Image
K9U | Dog House | Av rotation</center>

Angstwolf

Postby Angstwolf » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:31 am

I'll probably get a 360 at the next price drop, followed by a Wii.

If I ever get a PS3, it'll be five or six years from now when the price is $200 or less.

Return to “Anything”