Furry History

A place to talk about anything (that doesn't belong in the other forums).

Moderator:Æron

Niko123000

Postby Niko123000 » Sun May 07, 2006 9:56 pm

FYI just don't upset Jakkel, shes the author of BT (Black Tapestries) and the one... well you should knbow...
"No sir, I am not Insane, I just have Anger issues..." ~ The First words i said to my Counselor after I got kicked off the bus.
Wait, you want to see my Art? It ain't much to look at...
Titanic fans rejoice! I have a Titanic RP board. Only... not on the Titanic... and kinda on the Teen side...Nothing real gratuitous though!
"Evil isn't doing bad. It's doing bad and not Feeling bad about it afterwards." ~ Avaric, Wicked. Think about that the next tiem you call someone evil.

CodeCat

Postby CodeCat » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:13 pm

Bit of a revival here...

I'm surprised nobody here mentioned Reynard the fox! That story dates back to the middle ages, but it's not really known exactly who wrote it first. It's most likely a mix of other stories of the time. It was probably a French story which 'spilled' into what is now the Netherlands and Belgium, and was also written down in medieval Dutch.

It's about a fox, Reynard, who is causing trouble to all the other animals. So they complain to King Noble (a Lion) and he sends out two people (Bruin the bear and Tybert the cat) to summon him. But Reynard is sly and exploits their own greed and self-interest, leading them into a trap. The third, Grimbert the badger, persuades him to come. And he has to answer for the king. But he's quick-witted, so he tells the king that the 3 people he sent to summon him are conspiring against him. He mentions an imaginary treasure they are collecting, and says he's the only one who knows where it is. In their greed for wealth, the royal couple decide that the the three Reynard mentioned should be apprehended for their crimes. And so in the meantime Reynard escapes.

Niko123000

Postby Niko123000 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:47 am

Bit of a revival here...

I'm surprised nobody here mentioned Reynard the fox! That story dates back to the middle ages, but it's not really known exactly who wrote it first. It's most likely a mix of other stories of the time. It was probably a French story which 'spilled' into what is now the Netherlands and Belgium, and was also written down in medieval Dutch.

It's about a fox, Reynard, who is causing trouble to all the other animals. So they complain to King Noble (a Lion) and he sends out two people (Bruin the bear and Tybert the cat) to summon him. But Reynard is sly and exploits their own greed and self-interest, leading them into a trap. The third, Grimbert the badger, persuades him to come. And he has to answer for the king. But he's quick-witted, so he tells the king that the 3 people he sent to summon him are conspiring against him. He mentions an imaginary treasure they are collecting, and says he's the only one who knows where it is. In their greed for wealth, the royal couple decide that the the three Reynard mentioned should be apprehended for their crimes. And so in the meantime Reynard escapes.
Nice job giving half the story AWAY! at least you didn't mentio nthe fight between Reynard and Isagram

Heres a link: Wikipedia definition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reynard

Digital alteration of story: http://bestiary.ca/etexts/guerber1896/G ... 0the%20Fox'

Picture form a possible cover?:

"No sir, I am not Insane, I just have Anger issues..." ~ The First words i said to my Counselor after I got kicked off the bus.
Wait, you want to see my Art? It ain't much to look at...
Titanic fans rejoice! I have a Titanic RP board. Only... not on the Titanic... and kinda on the Teen side...Nothing real gratuitous though!
"Evil isn't doing bad. It's doing bad and not Feeling bad about it afterwards." ~ Avaric, Wicked. Think about that the next tiem you call someone evil.

Tum0spoo

Postby Tum0spoo » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:49 am

That picture makes me think of Wishbone.
ImageImage

Derrick Fish

Postby Derrick Fish » Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:28 pm

Wowzers, this is a long thread. As of this writing I've only read about 3 pages but am really enjoying it. There's a lot of interesting history here regarding the use of animal characters both historically and literarily. When i think of something actually USEFUL to add to the discussion, I likely will.

That said, I think O&M uses the form to what I think, is it's best use: To showcase the human condition in non-human characters to beter allow the reader to make the proper associations. I don't know why it's true, but people DO seem to understand a message about humanity BEST from a talking animal. Weird.

Holyman83
Location:A bluish sphere in space orbiting a star in the Milky Way

Postby Holyman83 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:44 am

thats because they are cute and fluffy. So for some reason an animal saying one thing is not as offence as a person saying it, in most cases.

zincks

Postby zincks » Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:26 pm

hmm i found a podcast that i really like that have been dont by Furries and they went to a sociology class at a collage and they defined what a furry is and what there sterotype is. The pod cast is called "the freaky furry friends", and here is their web site http://freaky_furry_friends.podomatic.com/

Bocaj Claw

Postby Bocaj Claw » Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:46 pm

Do you have a video of you getting beat around the head with a frozen carp? Possibly causing blunt head trauma and concussions?
That which does not kill me, cripples me for life.

My deviantART account

gen200

Postby gen200 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:06 pm

Do you have a video of you getting beat around the head with a frozen carp? Possibly causing blunt head trauma and concussions?
OOH, OHH, LET ME DO IT!!!
Procrastinators unite! (tomorrow...)

Bocaj Claw

Postby Bocaj Claw » Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:09 pm

You are truly a god amongst lesser gods Gen.
That which does not kill me, cripples me for life.

My deviantART account

Fritz

Postby Fritz » Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:12 pm

Yes it does matter. Not as much as your video, but still.

gen200

Postby gen200 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:16 pm

You are truly a god amongst lesser gods Gen.
I just work with what ya give me :wink:
Procrastinators unite! (tomorrow...)

Return to “Anything”