Puff the Magic Dragon Cartoon

A place for any sort of art you have done.

Moderator:Æron

Tom_Radigan
Puff the Magic Dragon Cartoon

Postby Tom_Radigan » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:54 pm

likeafox
Administrator

Re: Puff the Magic Dragon Cartoon

Postby likeafox » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:37 am

Wrong forum?

Tom_Radigan

Postby Tom_Radigan » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:29 am

Wrong forum?
Why? It's dragon related.

osprey

Postby osprey » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:46 am

Are you a pothead Focker?
OK. pants it. I lied. It's drum and bass. What you gonna do?

Tom_Radigan

Postby Tom_Radigan » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:14 pm

Are you a pothead Focker?
Don't tell me you believe the rumor that "Puff the Magic Dragon" is about smoking marijuana! Peter, Paul, and Mary themselves say it's not about that, but about a boy growing up and leaving his childhood dreams behind.

The song "Mary Had a Little Lamb" says that the lamb's "fleece was white as snow." Does that mean the song is about cocaine?

Bocaj Claw

Postby Bocaj Claw » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:10 pm

Yes.
That which does not kill me, cripples me for life.

My deviantART account

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:18 pm

The song "Mary Had a Little Lamb" says that the lamb's "fleece was white as snow." Does that mean the song is about cocaine?
Yes, obviously. I mean, take a look at the lyrics.

"Everywhere that Mary went, the lamb was sure to go."
As the lamb symbolises cocaine, its following her about symbolises the troubles of her addiction; no matter where she goes, she can't get away from it.

"It followed her to school one day, which was against the rules."
This particular part is about Mary taking her 'lamb' (cocaine) to school, or perhaps meeting at school with a dealer in order to obtain it. "It made the children laugh and play" is quite clear in this light; they are encouraging Mary to take cocaine, perhaps even taking cocaine themselves.

"And so the teacher turned it out."
The teacher discovers Mary's cocaine addiction, takes away her cocaine and hopes that this will help her combat it; but, as the verse ominously continues, "but it still lingered near." Mary is unable to escape her addiction, and immediately after leaving school she visits her dealer for another fix ("And waited patiently about, till Mary did appear.")

"Why does the lamb love Mary so?"
In the final verse, the children are taunting Mary about her addiction (their role reversed from previous verses); and exemplifying the ostracism of drug addicts in wider society, the teacher joins in the taunt, responding "Why, Mary loves the lamb, you know."

It's quite clear that the author intended Mary Had A Little Lamb to be about struggling with addiction; perhaps the author herself (or himself) is the character of Mary here, the rhyme corresponding to their own childhood experiences. In any case, the fluffy, childish exterior belies a sinister, troubled inner meaning.
If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. (Revelation 2:5, NIV)
Josh Woodward, Ohio Singer/Songwriter, offers his songs for free. Give him a listen.

Comrade K

Postby Comrade K » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:14 pm

Nick, you're the best.

Muninn
Moderator (retired)

Postby Muninn » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:49 pm

Nick, that was wonderful. You don't mind if I copy it for further use do you?

During Bob Dylan's Halloween 1964 concert at New York's Philharmonic Hall, before one of the songs when he was strumming his guitar the audience started shouting requests and after they largely quitened down someone yelled out "Mary Had a Little Lamb" and after laughing along with the fans Dylan responded "God, did I record that, is that a protest song?"

Arloest
Moderator (retired)

Postby Arloest » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:18 pm

Yes, obviously. I mean, take a look at the lyrics.

"Everywhere that Mary went, the lamb was sure to go."
As the lamb symbolises cocaine, its following her about symbolises the troubles of her addiction; no matter where she goes, she can't get away from it.

"It followed her to school one day, which was against the rules."
This particular part is about Mary taking her 'lamb' (cocaine) to school, or perhaps meeting at school with a dealer in order to obtain it. "It made the children laugh and play" is quite clear in this light; they are encouraging Mary to take cocaine, perhaps even taking cocaine themselves.

"And so the teacher turned it out."
The teacher discovers Mary's cocaine addiction, takes away her cocaine and hopes that this will help her combat it; but, as the verse ominously continues, "but it still lingered near." Mary is unable to escape her addiction, and immediately after leaving school she visits her dealer for another fix ("And waited patiently about, till Mary did appear.")

"Why does the lamb love Mary so?"
In the final verse, the children are taunting Mary about her addiction (their role reversed from previous verses); and exemplifying the ostracism of drug addicts in wider society, the teacher joins in the taunt, responding "Why, Mary loves the lamb, you know."

It's quite clear that the author intended Mary Had A Little Lamb to be about struggling with addiction; perhaps the author herself (or himself) is the character of Mary here, the rhyme corresponding to their own childhood experiences. In any case, the fluffy, childish exterior belies a sinister, troubled inner meaning.
<3
Who sleeps shall awake, greeting the shadows from the sun
Who sleeps shall awake, looking through the window of our lives
Waiting for the moment to arrive...
Show us the silence in the rise,
So that we may someday understand...

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:49 pm

Nick, that was wonderful. You don't mind if I copy it for further use do you?
Of course not. The world must know.
If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. (Revelation 2:5, NIV)
Josh Woodward, Ohio Singer/Songwriter, offers his songs for free. Give him a listen.

Return to “Arts”