Tuesday, March 25th, 2008 - Tabula rasa

Discussion of any of the archived O&M comics, and potential new ones should they ever come about.

Moderator:Æron

cps10106
Tuesday, March 25th, 2008 - Tabula rasa

Postby cps10106 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:59 pm

Does this mean they actually will be seen starting middle school next year? OK, probably not, but I don't recall anyone mentioning anything about the "last year of elementary school" before. Also, I like how Millie and Felicia getting smaller and further away in each panel goes with Millie's talk of them entering a "larger world"...or am I reading too much into it...

And on a minor nitpicky note..."The possibility will be unlimited" sounds strange to me...shouldn't that be "possibilities"? Or maybe that's just me...

Baconsticks

Postby Baconsticks » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:04 pm

Middle school?

I predict Zany Hijinks! :laugh:

And before anyone asks, wikipedia sez:
Tabula rasa (Latin: blank state) refers to the epistemological thesis that individual human beings are born with no innate or built-in mental content, in a word, "blank", and that their entire resource of knowledge is built up gradually from their experiences and sensory perceptions of the outside world.

The MAZZTer
Location:Destiny, several billion light years from Earth. Also known as Vancouver.

Postby The MAZZTer » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:36 pm

Tabula Rasa was a good Stargate Atlantis episode.

... what?

CodeCat

Postby CodeCat » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:53 pm

Initially, I thought that when she said 'start over' it was a hint towards the fact that they seem to do the year over every year, without ever really advancing.

If Millie actually aged, she'd be 18 now.
Furries? Are they the nutters that pretend to be animals and draw humans that look like animals? Christ, I sink my head into my paws... -Rooster

Æron

Postby Æron » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:04 pm

Tabula Rasa was a good Stargate Atlantis episode.
...and an episode of Lost. (E101) :o
Does this mean they actually will be seen starting middle school next year? OK, probably not, but I don't recall anyone mentioning anything about the "last year of elementary school" before.
I like the idea of DCS moving up the ages of the characters again, either to middle school age or even to high school. It would offer a great opportunity to introduce some interesting new character dynamics/development. Currently, character development seems to be stagnating, with many brilliant storylines ending anticlimactically, such as the one where Millie strikes back at Jeremy. I was hoping to see some sort of change in Jeremy's behavior towards our two heroes, or just Millie in particular, but nothing ever came of it. (Unless I missed it somehow... Though I read the strip almost every day, as the RSS feed updates, so that probably isn't the case.)

With an age change, we could see O&M making new friends as personalities change (maybe some unlikely ones, which seems to be a direction DCS could take the current storyline...), getting actively involved in political campaigning, dating, etc, etc, whatever fits their characters... Ozy and Millie act so mature now anyway; we just don't see the innocent playing of children side of them as much anymore.

Just a thought.

P.S. Is there something different with the quoting in this forum? I can't seem to get quote authors to display correctly, so I had to improvise.

P.P.S. Scratch that, I got it to work. Thanks, Tarukai!
Last edited by Æron on Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tarukai

Postby Tarukai » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:12 pm

either just hit the quote button, or, after doing it myself, put [.quote="soandso"][/quote] without the . in it.

anyway, I agree that if he made the move to Middle School for them, that would be awesome, because I love when strips like this progress after a while of them being at the same state of age and such.

EDIT: no problem dude!
Last edited by Tarukai on Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
[00:34:00] <Dermy> I do love to manipulate the standard rules of language for opportunistic effect
[00:34:06] <Dermy> Like a grammar hyena, I am
[00:34:16] <Dermy> Munching on the tasty entrails of tradition

[22:26:20] <MuffinSticks> I'm a chocolate muffin with white ears and a striped black and red tail
[22:26:35] <MuffinSticks> And exactly 6 chips

My DA account, for those who care enough to look/click/etc.
And my FA account as well!

Rievan

Postby Rievan » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:29 pm

I am pretty sure that the Tabula Rasa is a theory by John Locke, also in my opinion it stresses a posteriori thoughts chains.
Ecce Homo

Hyperion

Postby Hyperion » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:46 am

I am pretty sure that the Tabula Rasa is a theory by John Locke, also in my opinion it stresses a posteriori thoughts chains.
In Western philosophy, traces of the idea that came to be called the tabula rasa appear as early as the writings of Aristotle.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Avatar by kurorakuen, Shienvien. Used with permission.

datherman

Postby datherman » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:50 am

It would be interesting to see them advance to middle school, but I'm not entirely sure that it'll happen. Would DCS re-create the roles of the teachers, principal, and school psychiatrist? They play a prominent role at certain points, and I don't know if he'd be willing to scrap them entirely.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.

Kazapsky

Postby Kazapsky » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:53 am

Losing the psychiatrist would be the only actual blow to the cast. Beau Vine and Sorkowitz have no business being in the education system, and Larnblatt's a virtually insignificant bit player.

Maybe cutting out the deadwood might make room for some more plausible antagonists.

Chris

Postby Chris » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:50 am

Noes, I still want them to be in elementary D:. But, It's DCS' Choice since he did created O&M.

The MAZZTer
Location:Destiny, several billion light years from Earth. Also known as Vancouver.

Postby The MAZZTer » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:14 am

I don't believe those Hershey commercials. Change is a good thing every so often; it keeps things from going stale and getting repetitive. On the other hand I would miss those teachers and the psychiatrist and Beau Vine.

There is always a chance they could end up at the new school... but the obvious route, claiming that O&M's school is both an elementary and a middle school, isn't likely since the name of it firmly establishes it as an elementary school only IIRC. It could still be plausible the school recently expanded to include middle school grades.

Baxter Villa

Postby Baxter Villa » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:35 am

Why not? My elementary school was K through 8th.

Tom Flapwell

Postby Tom Flapwell » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:55 pm

My most immediate reaction to the suggestion that they'll move on in a few months was regret, but then I remembered that changes like this are often good. I thought "Safe Havens" got a lot better when the kids left elementary school.

In truth, I think the chance of me liking O&M better once they enter middle school is about 50%.
If Millie actually aged, she'd be 18 now.
If she aged a year for each year of the comic, then yes. But the cast of "Peanuts" aged a few years over the course of 49.
See other much-maligned creatures in my webcomic: http://downscale.comicgenesis.com

VolkswagenFox

Postby VolkswagenFox » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:23 pm

I think I wouldn't mind if they where to go to middle school.

Return to “O&M Strips”