Jan. 30, 2008 - Fairness Cake

Discussion of any of the archived O&M comics, and potential new ones should they ever come about.

Moderator:Æron

Sage

Postby Sage » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:05 pm

Oh yes, and Millie's pose in panel one looks epic. This is a somewhat cute comic. Bullying isn't so bad when you have decent parents, as opposed to parents who yell at you all the time.
Aren't you forgetting that
stuff stuff legal action stuff stuff
Legal action would be nice, as people say, but what would they actually say? What would their defense be? The only thing I can think of is "she would never hurt anybody" etc. but you ahve to think, lots of people say "he was such a nice man" etc. about people who end up murdering people...

Oh well.

caffeinefox

Postby caffeinefox » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:34 pm

Oh yes, and Millie's pose in panel one looks epic. This is a somewhat cute comic. Bullying isn't so bad when you have decent parents, as opposed to parents who yell at you all the time.
stuff stuff legal action stuff stuff
Legal action would be nice, as people say, but what would they actually say? What would their defense be? The only thing I can think of is "she would never hurt anybody" etc. but you ahve to think, lots of people say "he was such a nice man" etc. about people who end up murdering people...

Oh well.
-------------------

Well, were only talking about schoolchildren here, not O.J. Simpson.. For the most part if you strip the events down to the bare facts: A male student was harassing and physically attacking a female student[Yes I consider pushing a physical attack], the female student defended herself by punching the male student in the face thus self defense being the defense given. The teacher who only claims to have seen the self defense failed to ask any other student who may of seen the events occurred, never spoken to the male student from what we know to get his side of the events or taken into fact that she was all muddy and roughed up. And instead simply punishes the female student in question, a student who by all accounts was being harassed and had no other means to deal with the situation for the most part that the male student was continuously pushing her down making her unable to get up and run away. And then, on top of that; when confronted by the the mother of the female student the faculty, including the teacher who witnessed the punch fail to further look into this matter and just go along with what the teacher did. Now I ask anyone here to tell me would you consider that to be fair?

[apologies for the lengthy post.]
out of order? Seems to be working fine xD

Simba Cub

Postby Simba Cub » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:50 pm

Love it!

Rich::

Tom Flapwell

Postby Tom Flapwell » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:31 pm

I don't think anyone will steal Millie's cake. I got the impression that she'd get it at home, not in her lunchbag.
See other much-maligned creatures in my webcomic: http://downscale.comicgenesis.com

Aahe

Postby Aahe » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:59 pm

I want to see Millie open her lunch bag and find a note saying: "the cake is a lie".

That would be funny.
*google-ing "cake is a lie"*... lol :laugh: I didn't know what you guys where talking about. I thought back to dantheman's old avatar and edited this.
I'm not going to pick up on your sarcasm...

Hanging Tree

Postby Hanging Tree » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:38 pm

Well, were only talking about schoolchildren here, not O.J. Simpson.. For the most part if you strip the events down to the bare facts: A male student was harassing and physically attacking a female student[Yes I consider pushing a physical attack], the female student defended herself by punching the male student in the face thus self defense being the defense given. The teacher who only claims to have seen the self defense failed to ask any other student who may of seen the events occurred, never spoken to the male student from what we know to get his side of the events or taken into fact that she was all muddy and roughed up. And instead simply punishes the female student in question, a student who by all accounts was being harassed and had no other means to deal with the situation for the most part that the male student was continuously pushing her down making her unable to get up and run away. And then, on top of that; when confronted by the the mother of the female student the faculty, including the teacher who witnessed the punch fail to further look into this matter and just go along with what the teacher did. Now I ask anyone here to tell me would you consider that to be fair?

[apologies for the lengthy post.]

My client did not push any student. He was merely observing a student who fell in the mud on her own while demonstrating to a third party ways to harm others. The only witness to the pushing is the plantiff's best friend and is hardly impartial. The witnesse's father has in the past damaged the defendant's father's car and I propose that the son himself growing up in such a hostil enviroment would likely take similer actions against those he dislikes. Actions such as purgery.

On the other hand who have a reliable witness to the battery. A teacher who has nothing to gain by misrepresenting herself and everything to lose. She witnessed an attack and took action that is in accordance to the school policies on the issue. Mrs. Mudd chose to ignore all evidence against her daughter, but her only defense is that her daughter could under no cercomstances strike a larger boy, despite the fact that the defense claim has her striking a larger boy. This my friends does not make sense.
Round the hangin tree
Swayin in the breeze
In the summer sun
As we two are one
Swayin

Baconsticks

Postby Baconsticks » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:41 pm

I want to see Millie open her lunch bag and find a note saying: "the cake is a lie".

That would be funny.
*google-ing "cake is a lie"*... lol :laugh: I didn't know what you guys where talking about. I thought back to dantheman's old avatar and edited this.
I lol'd.

datherman

Postby datherman » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:48 am

Good job finding that comic Aahe. Honestly I don't even remember which one it was originally from, and would have to sort through several years of comics to find it again, heh.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.

Aahe

Postby Aahe » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:41 pm

Baconsticks: That's good..

dantheman: I have the book that that particular strip is in and that made it easier to find.

I'm having too much fun with this joke now
:laugh: . Seriously though, I hope nothing happens to the cake. THE FAIRNESS CAKE
I'm not going to pick up on your sarcasm...

Cosmic^Chicory

Postby Cosmic^Chicory » Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:08 am

stuff
Unfortunatly, that ignores the other witness, a known violent bully, who's previously been successfully sued for violent acts.

Dunno why your such a Jeremy fan, but really, he is the one who's really at fault here.

Kyler Thatch

Postby Kyler Thatch » Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:11 am

stuff
Unfortunatly, that ignores the other witness, a known violent bully, who's previously been successfully sued for violent acts.

Dunno why your such a Jeremy fan, but really, he is the one who's really at fault here.
I like to think of him as playing devil's advocate. He does make a valid point. We know what happened, but aside from that, probably only the three of them know the whole truth. Others (like Ms. Sorkowitz) would have to go with what clues they have.

[edit] Should I be surprised that this thread is playing out just like a courtroom drama? [/edit]
Rainy Day Donuts
Made from 110% recycled paper

gen200

Postby gen200 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:01 pm

[edit] Should I be surprised that this thread is playing out just like a courtroom drama? [/edit]
Isn't that what ussually happens?
Procrastinators unite! (tomorrow...)

Zaaphod
Moderator (retired)

Postby Zaaphod » Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:18 am

With much lower stakes.
Made by Angela. :D

Glenn565

Postby Glenn565 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:54 am

Usually there are more Phoenix Wright references.

Hanging Tree

Postby Hanging Tree » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:40 am

stuff

I'm just saying that Ms. Sorkowitz acted in the best way she could in that situation. She saw Millie hit Jeremy. She didn't see Jeremy pushing Millie. Its Ozy and Millie's word against Jeremy's in that situation. Jeremy may have a troubled past but Millie is no saint either. Jeremy may be a bully but Millie tried to lead a pirate raid against the school and has been known in the past to attack Felicia. Mrs. Mudd's entire defense is that Millie didn't attack Jeremy because she couldn't attack him, except she did attack him. The lesson of the story should be "if you think life isn't fair then try to be the one regulating things" because as we see its pretty much impossible to know the whole story, so peopel like Ms. Sorkowitz just have to do what they can to maintain as much control as possible.
Round the hangin tree
Swayin in the breeze
In the summer sun
As we two are one
Swayin

Return to “O&M Strips”