Poor Jeremy -11/30/06

Discussion of any of the archived O&M comics, and potential new ones should they ever come about.

Moderator:Æron

bronte

Postby bronte » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:46 am

methinks Dr. Wahnsinnig will be visiting us soon.

American readers help me out. What exactly is a swirly? What comes to mind is having your head flushed but we've never seen Jermey do that.
LLEWELLYN: And surely you've noticed that a great deal of what I do is extremely strange.
-------
MILLIE: Note to self: Sarcasm is highly ineffective against stupid people

Muninn
Moderator (retired)

Postby Muninn » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:03 am

It's Beau Vine and he's not changed one bit.

My soul weeps for him.

Kyler Thatch

Postby Kyler Thatch » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:21 am

American readers help me out. What exactly is a swirly? What comes to mind is having your head flushed but we've never seen Jermey do that.
Yes, Emily, that is exactly what a swirly is. Though just stuffing Ozy into a nearby trash can or locker is more convenient.

And I believe it should be an established fact by now: Principal Beau Vine is a hopeless case. I hope we'll be seeing Dr. Wahnsinnig soon to balance it all out.
Rainy Day Donuts
Made from 110% recycled paper

sun tzu

Postby sun tzu » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:50 pm

Ugh. I don't know about everyone else, but, personally, Beau Vine is the only character in the strip that really bothers me.
Jeremy and Felicia are antagonists, but they're believeable. People like them are actually pretty common, sadly (though there's an occasional touch of satire in Felicia). Avery's a loon, but tolerable.
Vine, on the other hand, fells (to me at least) like a complete straw man. Bull. Same thing.

Thay

Postby Thay » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:25 pm

Not sure how he's a straw man per se, as he lacks a prior to base any kind of distortion from.

Now if you meant that he portrays a straw-man with his opinions, then I agree wholeheartedly. He's not a pleasant person at all and I've actually met a few of his ilk in the past -- those who would put personal politics above doing what's right or just by serving the most popular or those who it would benefit them more to rather than those thay should offer their aid to, respectively.

If the World had less people like Vine, it'd be a more palatable place. It's good that Ozy & Millie isn't afraid to portray such characters so starkly.

Bocaj Claw

Postby Bocaj Claw » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:55 pm

Now that's just a new low for Vine. He's been insensitive before, he's been defensive of Jeremy before, he's criticized Millie for striking back before but now he's openly saying that it's Jeremy's job to harass Ozy. Openly saying and endorsing it.

That's just bad.
That which does not kill me, cripples me for life.

My deviantART account

Priest_Revan

Postby Priest_Revan » Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:18 pm

That's pretty screwed up.
If you put peanutbutter anywhere on your body, I'll lick it off...

ANYWHERE.

ImageMy deviantart... though it does suck.
My FA... nothing's on it right now, so there's no point to click it.

DHLawrence

Postby DHLawrence » Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:50 pm

Stupidity at its finest...

The J.A.M.

Postby The J.A.M. » Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:21 pm

The sad part is that I'm not surprised. Anyone know of any public school principals who're like that?

Tom Flapwell

Postby Tom Flapwell » Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:25 pm

Whether or not you're likely to find a Principal Vine in RL, he has always been the most annoying O&M character. Too bad he's not all afraid of a lawsuit like when Jeremy had been robbing Millie.

Have we ever seen Llewellyn talk with Vine? That could be interesting.

Agla

Postby Agla » Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:53 pm

I think the thing about Vine is that he says out loud the stuff that RL counterparts say obliquely. This strip-like nearly all the ones that have him in it-make me want to thwap him round the head or scream at him or something. And give Ozy a hug.

Luke B.

Postby Luke B. » Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:20 pm

Yeah, Beau Vine there... I've had more than one teacher like him, a Vice Principal, and more than a few bosses.

Sadly, his type are all too common - that is, "If only the victim hadn't done it, it's all the victims fault" etc.

Tabris_The_17th

Postby Tabris_The_17th » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:34 pm

My gosh but is that bull a jackass.

Anyway, it's not the point of Vine to be a believable character, but to act as an inflation of an actual character trait found withtin authority figures in reality. By doing so, he shows how rediculous such perspectives actually are.
www.aiacrowd.com- Now updating every Tuesday and Friday!
"Like a post modern Peanuts with cat eared girls...kinda"

horsedreamer

Postby horsedreamer » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:38 pm

Jeremy and Felicia are antagonists, but they're believeable. People like them are actually pretty common, sadly...
I'll grant that he is exaggerated, but trust me I've known school administrators to say things that come to the exact same thing.
I got sick of not having a signature. Now if only I had anything to put in it...

Return to “O&M Strips”