15 January 2008: Breaking Point

Discussion of any of the archived O&M comics, and potential new ones should they ever come about.

Moderator:Æron

teozo

Postby teozo » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:30 pm

I'm stunned.
I didn't expect that at all.
I support Millies punch becouse of the tears,that no one desearvs to be bullyed like that and the fact that I had to stop them from bullying me in a simular way.
Who thinks war is good is against me.
Who likes war is hateing me.

http://www.prato.linux.it/~lmasetti/ant ... hp?lang=en
Anti-war songs website.

http://www.croatianhistory.net/
About my Homeland. Read it.

http://www.paulhone.com/
Force H - good music

Rocketman

Postby Rocketman » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:50 pm

Millie better be careful, the mud looks like that black stuff in Spiderman that assimilates people.
Uh oh.

More serious, having been in a similar situation, a good hard crack on the jaw fixes many things.
Last edited by Rocketman on Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

datherman

Postby datherman » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:50 pm

Yeah...
It has so much pathos not only because of that, but also because suddenly Millie is very much a scared 10-year-old girl. She doesn't usually remind us that she's a little girl, but as soon as she starts crying in frustration, the reader is all, "HEY, THAT BIG GUY IS TORMENTING AN INNOCENT LITTLE GIRL!!!!"

There's nothing that pulls the heartstrings more than a scared little girl.
You're right, the added element of fear is also a major part of it. I think another reason is just simply the appeal the viewer's sense of (in)justice, our minds screaming out "that isn't right!" in response to it. Basically what you said I guess, just worded differently.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.

Gecko

Postby Gecko » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:21 am

Millie better be careful, the mud looks like that black stuff in Spiderman that assimilates people.
Uh oh.

More serious, having been in a similar situation, a good hard crack on the jaw fixes many things.
ZOMG!!! ALERT!!! NEW MEMBER!!!

Anyway, this is the most unexpected and surprising O&M strip for a while. I got used to the usual jokes, and laughing a little every time I read it, so seeing Millie cry was a :cry: moment and seeing her punch Jeremy was more of a :shock:.

Can't wait to see how this turns out, and props to DCS for an unexpected turn. :)
Anami and Anami are sitting around Anami says "GRR I AM ANGSTY LET'S EXPRESS ANGST" and so Anami says "ONE OF THE MODS ON DC IS A DICK I POSTED A PICTURE THAT WASN'T REALLY THAT INAPPROPRIATE AND THREE MODS SAW IT AND DID NOTHING THEN A FOURTH ONE SAW IT AND DELETED IT" and Anami says "OMG I HATE MODS >:("

Rocketman

Postby Rocketman » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:38 am

Oshi- *dives for the shadows*

teozo

Postby teozo » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:38 am

I must say thys
I can't take it any more
Eveary one with power says that thayle stop bullying in schools and what do they give no or minimum progres they just see it as a minimum cinsirne
They ignore the fact that tousands of kids are terorised by classmates that theyre terorised by overgrovn idiots who have no selfesteme of theyre own and finde it by beating thoes who have it couse of the dumbass fear that theyll be seen less then they are.
Who thinks war is good is against me.
Who likes war is hateing me.

http://www.prato.linux.it/~lmasetti/ant ... hp?lang=en
Anti-war songs website.

http://www.croatianhistory.net/
About my Homeland. Read it.

http://www.paulhone.com/
Force H - good music

Derrick Fish

Postby Derrick Fish » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:41 am

Millie's tears took this strip into a whole new territory, for me. It elicited a LOT of memories of myself being in far too manu similar situations and honestly... i'm now ANGRY at a fictional rabbit with a decent fraction of personal painful memory behind it.

Jeremy, to me, has always been kind of a one-note joke of a character who just became a very real, fleshed out.... monster of a sort.

Wow.

gforce422

Postby gforce422 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:50 am

Oshi- *dives for the shadows*
*catches Rocketman for a moment*

Introduce thyself properly in the airport, why dontcha! :)

*releases Rocketman*
gforce422 is awesome because:
-He made the absolute nicest comments about me in the other topic. I didn't respond to them yet, because I suck, but they are greatly appreciated! =D
-I would say he would also be a good runner up as one of the nicest people alive.
-He joined the IRC sometimes. But not enough, I say! Chat moar =D
-He is evidently only 18 year old but he could easily pass for 25. =D
-He is a drummer like *I* am and this in itself is cool.
Astro> gforce's smiles can cure cancer in kittens
Astro> the happiness radiating from your person is enough to solve tensor calculus
<mib_4do271>everything you touch explodes in pillows of happiness

Tarukai

Postby Tarukai » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:50 am

I must say thys
I can't take it any more
Eveary one with power says that thayle stop bullying in schools and what do they give no or minimum progres they just see it as a minimum cinsirne
They ignore the fact that tousands of kids are terorised by classmates that theyre terorised by overgrovn idiots who have no selfesteme of theyre own and finde it by beating thoes who have it couse of the dumbass fear that theyll be seen less then they are.
Your statement is very true, and being in high school I know firsthand how bad it is even at this level (I'm a senior, so there are three tiers below me), and people who don't deserve it are picked on pointlessly far too often. It's a stupid way to pull 'superiority' rankings in school, and it just make it worse for the ostracized(sp?) kids. there will be a much larger amount of school violence (shootings, fights, other outbreaks) as time drags on in this day and age, because people don't know when to cut the bullshit.

sorry, I've been picked on since I was a kid (early grades), and I know how bad it gets. I had to get that off my chest.
[00:34:00] <Dermy> I do love to manipulate the standard rules of language for opportunistic effect
[00:34:06] <Dermy> Like a grammar hyena, I am
[00:34:16] <Dermy> Munching on the tasty entrails of tradition

[22:26:20] <MuffinSticks> I'm a chocolate muffin with white ears and a striped black and red tail
[22:26:35] <MuffinSticks> And exactly 6 chips

My DA account, for those who care enough to look/click/etc.
And my FA account as well!

Baree

Postby Baree » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:55 am

Hmm. I wouldn't bet my life on it, but... Is this the first O&M strip in which we see tears? Ver on-Ozy and Millie like, this one.

Still, that only adds to the impact. Personally, even though I've had my share of bullying, I was older and it didn't really leave a scar. Nevertheless, this strip really got to me.

Rikirk

Postby Rikirk » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:27 am

atta girl Millie...
"Yes, yes I'll admit I tuned you out but in my defense its because I've already figured out you're stupid." Dr. Rodney McKay Stargate: Atlantis

"Did you say mattress?,...I did ask you not to. Now I have to get into the fish tank and sing."

Chris

Postby Chris » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:43 am

YAY MILLIE!

Ahh, Fun times of me getting bullied when i was in elementary and fighting back. They left me alone after fighting back. :-P

anthony

Postby anthony » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:58 am

F**K YA... GO Millie... :millie:

POW...Right in the Kisser :shock:
Ozy and Jeremy expressions are Priceless
I have a felling this is going to end in Dr. Wahnsinnig office.

Priest_Revan

Postby Priest_Revan » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:23 am

atta girl Millie...
If you put peanutbutter anywhere on your body, I'll lick it off...

ANYWHERE.

ImageMy deviantart... though it does suck.
My FA... nothing's on it right now, so there's no point to click it.

MandoAndy

Postby MandoAndy » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:55 am

I'm going to chime in with the other replies that say "Wow, this is a powerful strip."

It didn't quite register at first, but reading it again, I'm shocked at how upset I am to see Millie in tears!

I'm going to agree with Baree here - this may be the first time we've seen any of the characters genuinely moved to tears from frustration/anger/fear/sadness.

I love seeing drama and comedy come together in a comic strip. I hope this leads up to a big storyline. =)

Return to “O&M Strips”