August 1st, 2009

Talk about recent Raine Dog comics.
cougartiger

Postby cougartiger » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:13 am

Also, Raine Dog better not be running for president :?
If I'm reading the strip right, it seems like she ran for some kind of equal rights thing.
My Deviant Art page, home of my epic biography of Captain Lucius Locke, The Pirate's Tale.
Now including artwork!

http://cougartiger.deviantart.com/

Quexinos

Postby Quexinos » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:43 am

I just know we had Llewellyn run for president a lot and I'm sorry but it was NEVER funny. First time was kinda cute but ... I just never found it funny. Of all the Ozy and Millie stories, those were always my lest favorite.
Quexinos - Worse than Hitler

cougartiger

Postby cougartiger » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:24 am

I just know we had Llewellyn run for president a lot and I'm sorry but it was NEVER funny. First time was kinda cute but ... I just never found it funny. Of all the Ozy and Millie stories, those were always my lest favorite.
I agree. I'm not a fan of political humor in the first place but those stories were just lame.

Still, the single worst O&M story EVER was "Stephen Runs Away". A way too long story in which O&M barely appear. What was DCS thinking?
My Deviant Art page, home of my epic biography of Captain Lucius Locke, The Pirate's Tale.
Now including artwork!

Bocaj Claw

Postby Bocaj Claw » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:36 am

Character development for ancillary characters? Not that it mattered since Stephan sorta faded out of sight.
That which does not kill me, cripples me for life.

My deviantART account

MuffinSticks

Postby MuffinSticks » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:38 am

If I were a webcomic artist I'd be annoyed at people going "Ach, what were you thinking?!?" every time I wrote a bad storyline. DCS was doing whatever she wanted to do with her comic. She doesn't write comics for you guys, she writes them because she wants to, and chooses to share them with you. Just felt like I had to say that, feel free to correct me if you think I'm wrong.
КТО ТРОГАЛ МОЯ ПУШКА

<Muninn> Too furry for saneville, too girly for boystown
see, how far raine dog got placed in the background? take that you blue bitch

cougartiger

Postby cougartiger » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:46 am

If I were a webcomic artist I'd be annoyed at people going "Ach, what were you thinking?!?" every time I wrote a bad storyline. DCS was doing whatever she wanted to do with her comic. She doesn't write comics for you guys, she writes them because she wants to, and chooses to share them with you. Just felt like I had to say that, feel free to correct me if you think I'm wrong.
You're not wrong. However, that does not mean we cannot express our opinions about certain storylines if we so desire.

For the record, I feel, IMHO, that O&M had a much higher rate of successful storylines than probably any other comic, web or otherwise, that I've read.

sad jazz cantaloupe

Postby sad jazz cantaloupe » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:13 am

for the record, I think that a lot of people used to post that they LIKED the arc where stephan went to silicon valley

cougartiger

Postby cougartiger » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:23 am

for the record, I think that a lot of people used to post that they LIKED the arc where stephan went to silicon valley
I'll take your word for that as I wasn't here then. Stephen had his fans and I'm sure they enjoyed the story. I didn't. To each his own. Nuff said.
Now including artwork!

Quexinos

Postby Quexinos » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:45 am

I was all right with it. In fact I think Stephan was my favorite character that just showed up every so often.

I think the worst story ever was "Millie stands up for herself against Jeramy and gets screwed and nothing gets resolved."
Quexinos - Worse than Hitler

IceDragon

Postby IceDragon » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:09 pm

Uh, I feel that this line of thinking is why DCS has been teflon-esque to our criticisms on RD. When you make a comic, you are making it for the fans, as well as for yourself. DCS has forgotten this during the last bit of O&M, and especially during RD. How can I care about a comic that was written only with the author in mind?

Cactus Jack

Postby Cactus Jack » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:48 pm

I got annoyed at the many times Ozy or Millie were mistreated by school officials because they are differant since it pretty much always played out the same and showed a very biased one sided view of authority.

Foxchild

Postby Foxchild » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:59 pm

I got annoyed at the many times Ozy or Millie were mistreated by school officials because they are differant since it pretty much always played out the same and showed a very biased one sided view of authority.
As well as inaccurate of any real standings. The arc with Millie getting in trouble for hitting Jeremy? yeah, I've lived that one out, and let me tell you, a school gets to the bottom of a kid, who's normally not violent, snapping and taking a swing at another.

It's a constant "I'm a victim!" thing.
If you've done things right, people won't be sure if you've done anything at all.

MuffinSticks

Postby MuffinSticks » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:08 pm

Uh, I feel that this line of thinking is why DCS has been teflon-esque to our criticisms on RD. When you make a comic, you are making it for the fans, as well as for yourself. DCS has forgotten this during the last bit of O&M, and especially during RD. How can I care about a comic that was written only with the author in mind?
I think comic artists shouldn't care what the fans think, and if they're doing things in their comic just to appeal to their fans, then they're just a fan-whore that probably also begs for donations too much. I don't think DCS is too much of a fan whore. Maybe I'm wrong. That's just what I think every comic artist should be like. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with doing a few things to appeal to the fans, but if it gets to the point that you're changing large parts of plotlines or character designs or personalities or anything like that, then it's not really YOUR comic anymore, and if you're not having fun creating your own comic, then there isn't much point.
КТО ТРОГАЛ МОЯ ПУШКА

<Muninn> Too furry for saneville, too girly for boystown
see, how far raine dog got placed in the background? take that you blue bitch

IceDragon

Postby IceDragon » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:23 am

I think comic artists shouldn't care what the fans think, and if they're doing things in their comic just to appeal to their fans, then they're just a fan-whore that probably also begs for donations too much. I don't think DCS is too much of a fan whore. Maybe I'm wrong. That's just what I think every comic artist should be like. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with doing a few things to appeal to the fans, but if it gets to the point that you're changing large parts of plotlines or character designs or personalities or anything like that, then it's not really YOUR comic anymore, and if you're not having fun creating your own comic, then there isn't much point.
What about changing plotlines and having characters act very differently than they usaed to just to sooth the author's ego? Is that acceptable to you? Cause that's what DCS did. Webcomic authors need a fanbase, and need to keep it coming back for more, or else what is the point? Not caring about the fans leads to navel gazing.

DCS does not care about her fans, and has become much more of a snobby elitist bitch because of it. She rants about how the fans don't get her, because they are "normies". Her work has suffered as she has tried to ignore her fanbase.

I'm not asking for much, but I am asking for work at a level of quality that I know DCS is capable of. The problem is she seems to be too busy just staring into that navel. It's really sad to see talent go to waste like that.

Jakkal

Postby Jakkal » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:23 am

You both are right. On the one Hand, every artist should draw, what he/she wants to draw. But on the other hand, he/she should listen to the fancommunity, not doing a one-man-job. Raine Dog, is morelike some kind of "therapy" to show and handle own complexes, feelings and fears. Like "diffrent" sexuality, beeing (somekind)) an outcast of the (RL)comunity and the missing acceptance of her change of gender... she tries to show her problems via RD, (more or less clearly), [perhaps this "random ploting" shows her absent-mindedness?], and tries, to get... somekind of acceptance, at least from the Online-com.. It's a 180° turnover when you look at O&M. Where it was made for us and make us laugh (most of us), it was made for the fans, but was still his comic. It's her go now, absolutly her go, so she shouldn't wonder, if this kind of "acceptance" what she desire, will not be recieved by Def.Cyn.. That's probably a reason, why she left the forum... (perhaps you can interpret those "3 colors-style", I don't think it's because it looks nice.)

oh, je! So many text... :p hopefully, you understand, what I mean...

Return to “Raine Dog Strips”