Blessed day - Monday, December 15, 2008

Discussion of any of the archived O&M comics, and potential new ones should they ever come about.

Moderator:Æron

Baconsticks

Postby Baconsticks » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:32 pm

Lame.

I feel like I just watched the finale of The Sopranos again.

Tom Flapwell

Postby Tom Flapwell » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:34 pm

Timulty didn't bother wearing ANYTHING for a formal occasion?
If this wedding did not involve dragons, I might agree that it's odd.
See other much-maligned creatures in my webcomic: http://downscale.comicgenesis.com

datherman

Postby datherman » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:21 pm

That was atrocious. The dialogue sounds horribly contrived and false - I can't imagine Timulty saying "The wedding is ruined!" and Isolde's explanation seems forced. (Has Isolde even met Timulty before?)

Whilst the final panel is quite sweet, if this is the climax I will be terribly disappointed, especially considering the (high) quality of some of the previous strips and the amount of expectation they built up.
I'm thinking she might have met him, in one of the documentary series (or we could be left to assume they've met off-camera), but I agree that the dialog is rather forced and awkward.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.

Arloest
Moderator (retired)

Postby Arloest » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:32 pm

This is very similar to the typical kind of ending to the stories I wrote when I was 12.
Who sleeps shall awake, greeting the shadows from the sun
Who sleeps shall awake, looking through the window of our lives
Waiting for the moment to arrive...
Show us the silence in the rise,
So that we may someday understand...

Mista_B

Postby Mista_B » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:48 pm

Sounds like you guys are wanting an O&M ending that has nothing to do with O&M. :)
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." <br>-- Bertrand Russell

Dr. Sticks

Postby Dr. Sticks » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:50 pm

of course we don't. David should have had Locke's sword actually be a gun that launched nuclear wepons at everyone but him and millie and then they ride off into the sunset and have a child
http://www.spingain.com/?ref=146518
Well put doog. You never posted anything offensive whatsoever
we know she'll be back, like a good bitch should.

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:50 pm

Derrick's fan art was strangely prophetic. And only one day in advance, too. Unless they've been in communication with one another in the past week or so...

Arloest
Moderator (retired)

Postby Arloest » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:00 pm

Sounds like you guys are wanting an O&M ending that has nothing to do with O&M. :)
This is sort of only an Ozy and Millie-esque ending in theory. I liked the earlier strips ('earlier' being used very vaguely since the majority of O&M's run was like this) because it mixed this kind of insanity (in moderation) with some sort of social commentary. This however doesn't have that same kind of feel, and it almost feels like parody of itself.

I'm not saying it's inherently BAD, it's just not my thing.
Who sleeps shall awake, greeting the shadows from the sun
Who sleeps shall awake, looking through the window of our lives
Waiting for the moment to arrive...
Show us the silence in the rise,
So that we may someday understand...

Doc Sigma

Postby Doc Sigma » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:27 pm

All I can say is, I hope the strip actually *ends*, and doesn't just fade away into something that's updated like once every few months. I know DCS says she's going to post new strips every so often even after it ends... which is cool, and great, so long as there is an actual END. And not just a "sorry I haven't updated in 5 months."

Then again, it's not my strip, so I have no say... I just, well, really hope it ends well. Because it's too good of a strip to just die slowly. It deserves better.

marklungo

Postby marklungo » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:52 pm

1a. While I had a feeling that Locke wasn't really going to do anything disruptive, I still enjoyed how the situation was resolved. This is a good strip in spite of its flaws.

1b. Speaking of flaws, I have to agree with the consensus about Timulty's "The wedding is ruined!" line. At first, I thought the speaker was Avery, and the line would have been more believable coming from him (or someone in Mililani's family) than Timulty. I wonder if DCS has any response to this widespread criticism?

Timulty didn't bother wearing ANYTHING for a formal occasion?
As noted, this is apparently okay at a dragon wedding. On a related note, I've also noticed that Isolde, who is usually the only O&M character who wears shoes, is barefoot for maybe the second time in the strip's entire run.

3. Finally, for everyone who is assuming that this is the very last regular O&M strip: It isn't. I'm sure DCS will let us know when that happens.
Signature? You mean I'm supposed to put some meaningless block of text here?

Simba Cub

Postby Simba Cub » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:01 pm

Nice to see a kiss :)

Rich::

A dude named Vince

Postby A dude named Vince » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:11 pm

For some reason I can see someone (probably from the Ms. Mudd's side) during the middle of the food fight see that they're finished kissing and say "do it again, I wasn't looking!"
As for my opinion on this strip's quality, I am slightly sad to admit it is a little lacking. In the some of the ways previously mentioned, namely the dialouge seeming a little forced. In all honesty, I do hope this isn't the last strip. Even if this is the last strip, I won't be horribly disapointed. Just a little.
Like Shredder emerging from the ooze, I've returned for a while!
Gary's mod?

osprey

Postby osprey » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:38 am

To me, it seems like forced mush and silliness, almost cut and pasted from so many bad romantic movie scripts.
OK. pants it. I lied. It's drum and bass. What you gonna do?

The MAZZTer
Location:Destiny, several billion light years from Earth. Also known as Vancouver.

Postby The MAZZTer » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:36 am

I can't imagine Timulty saying "The wedding is ruined!"
Looks like DCS ninja-edited it.

Image -> Image

(If you're staring at those confused, you have to click them.)

Dr. Sticks

Postby Dr. Sticks » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:45 am

it made more sense the old way, BUT the new one isn't as dumb.
http://www.spingain.com/?ref=146518
Well put doog. You never posted anything offensive whatsoever
we know she'll be back, like a good bitch should.

Return to “O&M Strips”