Monday, August 14, 2000: But... I really like shrimp

Revisiting old Ozy & Millie comics.

Moderator:Æron

NonsenseWords
Monday, August 14, 2000: But... I really like shrimp

Postby NonsenseWords » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:38 pm

Hey, um, everybody in this scene? The food laws were repealed in the New Testament. This is why Jews still observe kosher food law and preparation but Christians do not. Just sayin'.

Tom_Radigan

Re: Monday, August 14, 2000: But... I really like shrimp

Postby Tom_Radigan » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:04 pm

Very few, if any, modern-day Jews practice animal sacrifices either, as the Old Testament called for. The story of Cain and Abel relates to the practice, as Cain was a farmer who sacrificed his produce while Abel, who raised animals, sacrificed one of his animals, which God proclaimed the superior sacrifice. This caused the infamous dispute leading to murder.

Æron

Postby Æron » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:35 pm

I get what DCS is trying to say here, and agree with it, despite how ham-fisted this presentation of it is.
Scurry, scurry, Scurryous! You might just be the murriest. You certainly are the furriest! Hurry! Scurry! Scurryous!

Cactus Jack

Postby Cactus Jack » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:08 pm

Isn't the no homo laws also repealed in the new testament?

Maggot Brain

Postby Maggot Brain » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:35 am

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but it seems unlikely that that one particular passage refers to shrimp. Everyone likes shrimp.

Tom_Radigan

Postby Tom_Radigan » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:48 am

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but it seems unlikely that that one particular passage refers to shrimp. Everyone likes shrimp.
Not everybody does, and in fact some people are allergic to it. The passage refers to shellfish in general, including lobsters, crabs, etc.

BTW, the Jewish kosher laws aren't arbitrary, and in fact they are very like, if not identical to, Muslim dietary laws. The reason eating pork was banned was because of the genuine danger of the diease trichinosis, which comes from undercooked pork. Shellfish preumably has its dangers as well.

NonsenseWords

Postby NonsenseWords » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:06 pm

Not everybody does, and in fact some people are allergic to it. The passage refers to shellfish in general, including lobsters, crabs, etc.

BTW, the Jewish kosher laws aren't arbitrary, and in fact they are very like, if not identical to, Muslim dietary laws. The reason eating pork was banned was because of the genuine danger of the diease trichinosis, which comes from undercooked pork. Shellfish preumably has its dangers as well.
Precisely this. To keep people safe. The better educated among the public -- the priests, primarily -- were aware of the dangers of eating certain foods that they had yet to find a way to cook properly, and found an avenue to reliably make sure that people did not kill themselves by eating poorly cooked meat. A good number of the laws were less 'edicts from God' and more just to keep order and keep people healthy.

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:05 pm

This is especially obvious in Exodus, where a lot of the rules are what one would expect to be written in law, even specifying fines:

"If the bull gores a male or female slave, the owner must pay thirty shekels of silver to the master of the slave, and the bull is to be stoned to death."
If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. (Revelation 2:5, NIV)
Josh Woodward, Ohio Singer/Songwriter, offers his songs for free. Give him a listen.

Return to “The O&M Archaeological Committee”