August 1st, 2009

Talk about recent Raine Dog comics.
Novil Ariandis

Postby Novil Ariandis » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:24 pm

Much like with cooking;

If you're cooking for only yourself, cook however and whatever you feel like!

If you're cooking in a restaurant, putting your food out there for people to eat and return for your food, it has to be enjoyable for them. Otherwise, your customers won't return.
That’s a stupid comparison. Since when do you have to pay to read webcomics?

Sandra and Woo: my webcomic about the adventures of the girl Sandra and her raccoon Woo

Foxchild

Postby Foxchild » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:31 pm

Much like with cooking;

If you're cooking for only yourself, cook however and whatever you feel like!

If you're cooking in a restaurant, putting your food out there for people to eat and return for your food, it has to be enjoyable for them. Otherwise, your customers won't return.
That’s a stupid comparison. Since when do you have to pay to read webcomics?
He's selling adspace on his site, which generates ad revenue. The more traffic he gets, the higher the likelyhood that someone will click a link, ergo generating funds to either run the site or to profit from. Secondly, he also is probably planning to, if not already, sell(ing) RD merchandise. Who would buy anything if they were not a fan of the comic for one reason or another.

So by "Stupid Comparison" I see you mean "Absolutely Correct". Glad we can see eye to eye.

[NOT to mention money was never listed in that comparison, as seems to have been inferred, merely returners to a given product, regardless of associated cost(free or not)]
If you've done things right, people won't be sure if you've done anything at all.

Novil Ariandis

Postby Novil Ariandis » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:36 pm

You don’t have to pay to be able to read a webcomic. Therefore you can’t complain that the webcomic sucks the same way you can complain to a chef that the food in the restaurant was bad.

Sandra and Woo: my webcomic about the adventures of the girl Sandra and her raccoon Woo

Foxchild

Postby Foxchild » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:50 pm

You don’t have to pay to be able to read a webcomic. Therefore you can’t complain that the webcomic sucks the same way you can complain to a chef that the food in the restaurant was bad.
You can complain just as well (about the quality of the art, the quality of the writing, the quality of the overall story... hell, everything except for price!). You can say whatever you want.

He doesn't have to listen, and in turn you don't have to read.

But you can complain.
If you've done things right, people won't be sure if you've done anything at all.

Liz
Staff

Postby Liz » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:22 pm

Lol Novil.

I completely agree with you Foxchild. I think you make excellent points.

Extreme-Speed

Postby Extreme-Speed » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:23 pm

Creating art for only yourself is like sitting alone and speaking things to yourself that you already know.
So the people who made totem poles were just wasting their time?!

Cactus Jack

Postby Cactus Jack » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:24 pm

I'm pretty sure they were worshiping the divine.

Foxchild

Postby Foxchild » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:34 pm

Creating art for only yourself is like sitting alone and speaking things to yourself that you already know.
So the people who made totem poles were just wasting their time?!
Totems were traditionally for denoting family in the history of the tribes I know anything about at all. You were placed on the pole in order of importance to the family (in terms of age or role). It was hardly just for themselves, so that would indicate by the logic above that not a waste of time.

Though that logic is in and of itself flawed as well. Drawings, paintings, and other forms of art certainly can be done for oneself without consideration of others thoughts or input and still have quite a significant meaning. In general, though, I'd say those wouldn't be then published on attempted regular intervals. I, personally, have a plethora of art which has been done for myself and only myself, as an outlet or some other means of self-expression, a majority of which will never be seen by another human being.

Sometimes, though, something will be produced that I am proud of, even with a darker theme. I will share those of which I think someone may perceive something personal from it, though it something out of the ordinary for me to post. If someone doesn't like it, or doesn't understand it, then so be it. If something was drawn out of the sheer personal need for it to exist, then there is no reason for validation from the outside. It is, because it needed to be. (/zen)

Return to “Raine Dog Strips”