The Internet...

Discuss anything pertinent to this website.

Moderator:Æron

Ibun

Postby Ibun » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:39 am

I just tire of the 4channy antics of theirs. What with the stupid meme pictures, and Bacon's incessent trolling. And alot of the people who don't understand when I am being sarcastic like alot of the old members do, because they are used to me. Nothing more frustrating than trying to explain a joke. D:<
Killin' the first born of lyrical Yul Brynners.

Arloest
Moderator (retired)

Postby Arloest » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:45 am

Hey Jeff stop causing DRAMA.
Who sleeps shall awake, greeting the shadows from the sun
Who sleeps shall awake, looking through the window of our lives
Waiting for the moment to arrive...
Show us the silence in the rise,
So that we may someday understand...

gforce422

Postby gforce422 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:47 am

I am going to go right out and be a lulzkiller or such nonsense for a bit and express my thoughts on this.

Which is NO.

You must remember that this is practically the official Ozy and Millie fansite, as it is linked through the main page. Stuff like this just makes us come across as extremely unprofessional, sloppy, and incompetent. Pure facts there. This is the kind of stuff people decide not to join over, or even decide to LEAVE over.

As people have already said it's not about "not having a sense of humor". I am all for FUNNY jokes. But this one was not funny in any way, shape or form. It was simply retarded. OMG, I just got redirected to a Chuck Norris page, lololol. Shut up.

Again, the big thing here is how it makes the board as a whole look. When a avid reader of Ozy and Millie decides to join the fan forum for the first time, clicks on the link, and gets some "TAI PUT ME TO THIS" page, it is not a good thing.
Quoted for truth.
I must echo this. You expounded on what I felt (and what quite a few of us felt, I'm sure) very precisely and accurately. Applause for Angela!
Nothing more frustrating than trying to explain a joke. D:<
gforce422 is awesome because:
-He made the absolute nicest comments about me in the other topic. I didn't respond to them yet, because I suck, but they are greatly appreciated! =D
-I would say he would also be a good runner up as one of the nicest people alive.
-He joined the IRC sometimes. But not enough, I say! Chat moar =D
-He is evidently only 18 year old but he could easily pass for 25. =D
-He is a drummer like *I* am and this in itself is cool.
Astro> gforce's smiles can cure cancer in kittens
Astro> the happiness radiating from your person is enough to solve tensor calculus
<mib_4do271>everything you touch explodes in pillows of happiness

Fritz

Postby Fritz » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:47 am

Nothing more frustrating than trying to explain a joke. D:<
Correct.

Softpaw

Postby Softpaw » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:35 am

I am going to go right out and be a lulzkiller or such nonsense for a bit and express my thoughts on this.

Which is NO.

You must remember that this is practically the official Ozy and Millie fansite, as it is linked through the main page. Stuff like this just makes us come across as extremely unprofessional, sloppy, and incompetent. Pure facts there. This is the kind of stuff people decide not to join over, or even decide to LEAVE over.

As people have already said it's not about "not having a sense of humor". I am all for FUNNY jokes. But this one was not funny in any way, shape or form. It was simply retarded. OMG, I just got redirected to a Chuck Norris page, lololol. Shut up.

Again, the big thing here is how it makes the board as a whole look. When a avid reader of Ozy and Millie decides to join the fan forum for the first time, clicks on the link, and gets some "TAI PUT ME TO THIS" page, it is not a good thing.
I also strongly agree with Arlo's post, and to a lesser extent, Ibun's statements. If it were April Fool's, it might have gone over better, since it would have been expected in that case.

It seems to me that this is a symptom of a larger trend of antagonistic and trolling behaviour, from both members and mods, that's been gradually building for a long time. It's also been demonstrated that no one cares one iota about anything I say here, but someone needed to say it.

Quexinos

Postby Quexinos » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:19 am

Hi, I'm going to be the annoying person who everyone is going to yell at because I found the humor in the joke. I'm all for pranks like this, I do it every year on April Fools. This happens all the time though, I do something to my forum or website and there's always that group that freaks out and gets bent out of shape.

Besides, I find it hard to believe that anyone viewing the "Define Communist" or whatever for the first time would think, "OMG THESE PEOPLE R HORRBLE!"... If anything, some people might have been confused. I guess this joke was targeted at someone or something, and I don't even know who and someone viewing the forum for the first time wouldn't know either. In fact, I'm willing to bet anyone who saw it knew it was a joke. And if not it's not like it lasted for weeks and weeks on end. It was just for one night.

I knew it was a joke and I haven't been here that long.

YES it would have been better on April Fools day, that would have made a lot more sense and would have caused less confusion, but well it didn't happen. I also think the communist move was a bad idea because that's just gonna offend people. I can get that... maybe changing the site to "define hotdogs" or something would have been funnier but it had the right idea.

Bottom line:
No one got hurt, everything is back to normal so there's no reason to be upset. IN a few months we won't even remember this.
It seems to me that this is a symptom of a larger trend of antagonistic and trolling behaviour, from both members and mods, that's been gradually building for a long time. It's also been demonstrated that no one cares one iota about anything I say here, but someone needed to say it.
I guess because I don't venture outside of the Ozy and Millie forum I don't see this kind of stuff. Everyone has been really nice to me so far and a mod even listened to me when I asked him to remove some spam from a topic I made. Maybe that'll change after this post though =P
Quexinos - Worse than Hitler

osprey

Postby osprey » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:50 am

I completely concur with both Arlo and Ibun, 100 freaking percent. And come on people, April Fool's? It's March freaking 24th.

You can add Hanging Tree to that list as well Ibun.
OK. pants it. I lied. It's drum and bass. What you gonna do?

Quexinos

Postby Quexinos » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:23 am

Yeah, changing an internet forum for less than a day... yeah...

Clearly something else is going on here that I'm unaware of because I don't get how someone can get that peeved over something silly like that. I should probably just walk away...
Quexinos - Worse than Hitler

Baconsticks

Postby Baconsticks » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:31 pm

I just tire of the 4channy antics of theirs. What with the stupid meme pictures, and Bacon's incessent trolling. And alot of the people who don't understand when I am being sarcastic like alot of the old members do, because they are used to me. Nothing more frustrating than trying to explain a joke. D:<
We are two sides of the same coin. :-P

Spray

Postby Spray » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:10 pm

Sorry, not funny. If this were a comedy club, the audience would have gone past booing and straight to the tomato throwing.

They might even throw rocks. The joke was just that bad.

Ibun

Postby Ibun » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:15 pm

I completely concur with both Arlo and Ibun, 100 freaking percent. And come on people, April Fool's? It's March freaking 24th.

You can add Hanging Tree to that list as well Ibun.
He was already banned though.

@Bacon: I used to be just like you; but I'm not anymore. :v
Killin' the first born of lyrical Yul Brynners.

Baconsticks

Postby Baconsticks » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:51 pm

@Bacon: I used to be just like you; but I'm not anymore. :v
I really don't want to be like you. I'll stay the way I am. :wink:

Kojiro

Postby Kojiro » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:06 pm

Wow, c'mon guys why do you think the net was born? Definately not for trolling.
Here is fine, there is good, but DC is my home (IRC is my vacation home that I visit more often than a normal person visits a vacation home.)

Tom Flapwell

Postby Tom Flapwell » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:18 pm

why do you think the net was born?
Must... resist... urge to quote Avenue Q....
See other much-maligned creatures in my webcomic: http://downscale.comicgenesis.com

Trance

Postby Trance » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:30 pm

I encountered that Define Communist site when trying to access this forum a couple days ago and thought it was indeed April 1st. Then I checked the calendar and went, "Did I miss a joke or a flamewar or something?" I was worried that maybe someone broke into this forum and got rid of everything.

Good to know the site's okay. But nah, I didn't find the address-stealing joke site particularly funny. It was pretty annoying actually.

Glad I missed the Chuck Norris segment of the prank or I'd probably be pissed alongside the others. Chuck Norris jokes have gone beyond stale, the hole has fallen out of the bottom of that basket and there's no humor left even for trolling purposes. If you appreciate comedy, at least have the decency to let the Chuck jokes fall by the wayside.

Return to “The Site”