Happy John Lennon Day

Everything that might be happening in our world today, tomorrow, or yesterday.

Moderator:Æron

Maggot Brain
Re: Happy John Lennon Day

Postby Maggot Brain » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:52 am

On a Lennon-related note, I finally watched the "Let It Be" movie and he's actually kind of a douchebag. Haha. From what I've read though, he was well into a heroin addiction at that point, so that might have had something to do with it. You can see the apathy on his face. Plus he acts so incredulous when any idea of his is rejected and seems to take personal offense.

The movie was great though. The rooftop concert is of course the coup de grâce. Especially when the fuzz show up. They're talking to (I think) George Martin, then he tells the guys to stop, but they dive into "Get Back"... then someone turns off Harrison's amp, and he looks over like "what the hell?", then flips it back on with this look of "pants you, I'm George Harrison and I'll play where and when I damn-well please." So awesome. :wag:

Muninn
Moderator (retired)

Postby Muninn » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:59 pm

From what I remember reading back when I was really into the Beatles that was just about the lowest point for them as a band. All of them were looking for a way out, not meeting up much outside of recording sessions.

Cactus Jack

Postby Cactus Jack » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:09 pm

Its not in the movie but George Harrison and John Lennon supposedly got into a fist fight during the recording of Let It Be.

Tom_Radigan

Postby Tom_Radigan » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:58 pm

Its not in the movie but George Harrison and John Lennon supposedly got into a fist fight during the recording of Let It Be.
Let it be, let it-oof!-be,
Let-Take that!-it be, let-ugh!-it be,
There will-Ha, you call that a punch, you pansy? This is a punch!-be an answer,
No more Mr. Nice Guy!-Let it be.-I'll kill you for that one!

Couldn't help myself. :laugh:

Doc Sigma

Postby Doc Sigma » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:21 pm

I never realized that, at the end of Norwegian Wood, he's saying that he burned the girl's house down. I always thought "I lit a fire" just meant he lit a fire, like, in the fireplace...

Tom_Radigan

Postby Tom_Radigan » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:34 pm

I never realized that, at the end of Norwegian Wood, he's saying that he burned the girl's house down. I always thought "I lit a fire" just meant he lit a fire, like, in the fireplace...
He was singing about an extramarital affair he had at the time.

Doc Sigma

Postby Doc Sigma » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:31 pm

He was singing about an extramarital affair he had at the time.
Yup. I learned that at the same time as I learned the other thing. I learned two things at once!

Muninn
Moderator (retired)

Postby Muninn » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:15 pm

Yup. I learned that at the same time as I learned the other thing. I learned two things at once!
How did your brain cope with such a rapid influx of information?

Doc Sigma

Postby Doc Sigma » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:44 pm

How did your brain cope with such a rapid influx of information?
I slept for three days!

Cactus Jack

Postby Cactus Jack » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:48 pm

John Lennon isn't really all that peacful, burning down houses, or just straight up singing about murduring people in Run For Your Life. I think he had alot of anger issues when Rubber Soul was recorded

Maggot Brain

Postby Maggot Brain » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:18 pm

John Lennon isn't really all that peacful, burning down houses, or just straight up singing about murduring people in Run For Your Life. I think he had alot of anger issues when Rubber Soul was recorded
Well, back then he was still rockin the bowl cut. That kind of hair makes you want to kill people.

Doc Sigma

Postby Doc Sigma » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:23 pm

John Lennon isn't really all that peacful, burning down houses, or just straight up singing about murduring people in Run For Your Life.
And let's not forget Maxwell's Silver Hammer! It's all about murder, but it's so... upbeat! Except, shit, McCartney wrote that one, didn't he? Dammit. I'll go ahead and shut up now.

Cactus Jack

Postby Cactus Jack » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:50 pm

John hated that song. He must have mellowed out by then.

Return to “World Events”