GOP Official Blasted for Distributing Obama 'Magic Negro' CD

Everything that might be happening in our world today, tomorrow, or yesterday.

Moderator:Æron

Baconsticks
GOP Official Blasted for Distributing Obama 'Magic Negro' CD

Postby Baconsticks » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:21 am

The chairman of the Republican National Committee said Saturday he was "shocked and appalled" that one of his potential successors had sent committee members a CD this Christmas featuring a 2007 parody song called "Barack the Magic Negro."

In spite of RNC Chairman Robert M. "Mike" Duncan's sharply negative reaction, former Tennessee GOP leader Chip Saltsman said that party leaders should stand up to criticism over distributing a CD with the song. He earlier defended the tune as one of several "lighthearted political parodies" that have aired on Rush Limbaugh's radio show.

Saltsman, who managed former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee's presidential campaign, is seeking the RNC chairmanship. During the presidential campaign, GOP officials denounced efforts by those in the party who criticized or mocked Democratic nominee Barack Obama along racial lines. Obama was vying to be the nation's first black president.

A spokesman for Obama, now the president-elect, declined to comment on the matter.

The ditty by conservative comedian Paul Shanklin refers to a March 2007 opinion piece in the Los Angeles Times by David Ehrenstein headlined "Obama the 'Magic Negro.'" In the article, Ehrenstein argued that voting for Obama helped white voters alleviate guilt over racial wrongs in the past.

Shanklin's parody is sung to the music of "Puff, the Magic Dragon." Among other Shanklin tunes on the 41-track CD that Saltsman sent with a Christmas message: "I Can Talk Like a Coal Miner's Daughter," "Love Client #9" and "Down on the Farm with Al Gore."

"The 2008 election was a wake-up call for Republicans to reach out and bring more people into our party," Duncan said in a statement. "I am shocked and appalled that anyone would think this is appropriate as it clearly does not move us in the right direction."

In a statement that followed Duncan's, Saltsman said: "Liberal Democrats and their allies in the media didn't utter a word about David Ehrenstein's irresponsible column in the Los Angeles Times last March. But now, of course, they're shocked and appalled by its parody on the 'Rush Limbaugh Show.'

"I firmly believe that we must welcome all Americans into our party and that the road to Republican resurgence begins with unity, not division. But I know that our party leaders should stand up against the media's double standards and refuse to pander to their desire for scandal," he said.

The Hill, a Capitol Hill newspaper that published a story about the CD on Friday, reported that Saltsman said members of the GOP committee have "the good humor and good sense" to see Shanklin's tunes as "lighthearted political parodies."
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2008/12 ... operative/

This is why they didn't win the election. [/quote]

Dr. Sticks

Postby Dr. Sticks » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:00 am

I listened to the Hal Turner radio show (this guy's mother said the N-word on live air back before he had to switch to internet radio) once for laughs, and jesus christ. he played a song during one of his breaks, it was a CCR parody that went "shoot shoot shoot the wetbacks, at the border" and I almost turned it off right then.
http://www.spingain.com/?ref=146518
Well put doog. You never posted anything offensive whatsoever
we know she'll be back, like a good bitch should.

osprey

Postby osprey » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:58 pm

If I ever ran into Hal Turner on the street, I'd drop him like a sack of potatos.
OK. pants it. I lied. It's drum and bass. What you gonna do?

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:46 pm

Here's the song itself.

It's not especially inflammatory, but it's not all that funny either.
If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. (Revelation 2:5, NIV)
Josh Woodward, Ohio Singer/Songwriter, offers his songs for free. Give him a listen.

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:55 am

Most parodies aren't.

Weird Al has given many people the delusion that writing funny songs is easy.

Segovia

Postby Segovia » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:29 am

Most parodies aren't.

Weird Al has given many people the delusion that writing funny songs is easy.
I know. I tried.
http://www.definecynical.net/viewtopic.php?t=7139

Return to “World Events”