tl;dr post about life and all its wonder, and other musings

New to the forum? Going on vacation? Tell us about it.

Moderator:Æron

Arloest
Moderator (retired)
tl;dr post about life and all its wonder, and other musings

Postby Arloest » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:08 am

After being part of this community for 7+ years, all signs are telling me to take my leave. I have been more and more scarce lately, and each time I've come by the IRC room to peek in, I see how far this place is moving past me now. Nobody's fault but my own, of course; my life is just moving in a different direction now.

When I first came here this site was basically a gathering for friendly acquaintances to discuss Ozy and Millie - it stayed this way for a while. Now it's a tight-knit group of friends - nothing less, but perhaps more. I'm glad this place became such a source of happiness for so many of you. What's the point of living if you're not happy?

I have to walk my own path now, however. I recently attended a conference here in Houston about arctic and antarctic research in the geosciences. While I was there I met a few people, and then one crazy thing led to another and now there is a chance that I might work in Antarctica next year! It won't fall in my lap, of course, and will involve some changes - up to and including moving to Boulder, Colorado - a place I've had my eye on for a long time. So I'm pretty excited about the future - but I have to take a few steps towards getting there now.

There is always the chance that I'll make my way into your circle one day, but right now it looks like a new chapter is opening up for me, and I intend to tackle it with FULL VIGOUR AND VALOUR or else I may never get out of the rut I've been in for the past month or so.

So I say to you o beloved DC - it's been real. I wish I could personally thank every single person I've ever met here and had so many fun conversations with, but not everyone would see it and my hands will fall off! So I'll leave it off here.

Next time you guys all meet up, be sure to give Simon a rough time for me. ;)
Who sleeps shall awake, greeting the shadows from the sun
Who sleeps shall awake, looking through the window of our lives
Waiting for the moment to arrive...
Show us the silence in the rise,
So that we may someday understand...

simon
Site Founder

Re: tl;dr post about life and all its wonder, and other musi

Postby simon » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:42 pm

ANGELA
STOP
LEAVING
>:@

i'm really happy for you that you've got some amazing stuff happening in your life angela, it's great to see that you're on the path to awesome things, hehe (ALSO, JEALOUS!! pants i want to go to antarctica)

sucks that you've fallen out of touch somewhat, still consider you a great friend in any event. (:

best of luck with everything ANGELA, perhaps we'll meet up somewhere, somewhen, while roaming around this amazing planet of ours. we gotta swap stories!

again good luck with everything, have fun out there. no other way to be!

p.s. do you have skype?

p.p.s. YOU come give me a hard time, next time! jeez :p

Æron

Postby Æron » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:15 am

Oh, wow. We'll miss you intensely, Angela. You've always been fun to talk to, and I regret not talking to you more. Such is life I guess.

Good luck in the real world! It sounds like you're really moving on up. I'm confident that you will be able to get out of whatever rut you're in now and succeed to great heights. I'm a bit JEALOUS of your possible Antarctica trip. :P

I hope we can hear from you again someday so you can tell us about whatever great adventures you get yourself into!
Scurry, scurry, Scurryous! You might just be the murriest. You certainly are the furriest! Hurry! Scurry! Scurryous!

Burning Sheep Productions

Postby Burning Sheep Productions » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:24 am

/me cries.
Plzzzz catch up again sometime in the future!
Very happy that you're doing well for yourself though. (:
Burning Sheep Productions

klimt

Postby klimt » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:41 am

i'm sure nobody here wants me to fill this thread with sappy nonsense, so i'll leave that out.
best of luck! doors always open if you see fit to return and seriously, if you end up in yellowstone and want to meet up get in contact and i will make it happen.

\m/

Tom_Radigan

Postby Tom_Radigan » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:54 am

Well, at least you sound like you have a nice future ahead of you! :grin:

Tai
Staff

Postby Tai » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:31 am

You can't FUCKIN leave Angela you still haven't produced #5 since you've said you were "working on it" in 2006 >:@

Seriously though, you're totally part of the DC circle. You've been there since before I joined and even then you were the life of the party 95% of the time (the other 5% you were logged off). You were no small part of the reason many of us stuck around so long, and because we stuck around waiting for you, we got to know each other better.

It's really hard to write how I feel right now - you're the one with whom I shared in cries of LETS FIGHT, to sharing bloody lovey sardine tunafish, to singing Klaus Nomi right after Senzefine, to octagoning mercilessly in Tron, to knocking over stacks of Agalloch CDs to a million other things. I remember our talks about debate teams talking at 10000 words per minute and Mori Ryvolver and running into ducks like it was yesterday. The kickfloods were great (till I lost autorejoin T_T) and watching you make out with Liz made my lonely nights a little less lonely.

Getting a certain 1+year isolation decree from you isn't easy - at least before I could say you could come back at any time. But I'm genuinely thrilled that you're getting to do some awesome stuff! And it's certainly better knowing that you're thousands of miles from civilization than thinking you left forever forever or died from eitherscreaming Otep lyrics or a heart attack from eating too many cordial cherries.

Before I get all weepy, let me end with "I'm going to miss you". Whether you remember or not, you've said some things that meant a lot to me and I thank you for that.

Make sure one of these guys gets your contact info in case Snowie lets definecynical.net expire and we have to move IRC servers and you lose your MSN password. Hurry back (but not too fast since without you I'm the best rap battler in DC). We'll be waiting \:D/

Love,
Tai

PS: Simon wants your skype because he's e-stalking all the girls in DC on skype. He's already taken someone out of the IRC for his twisted skype perversions about Daft Punk.

PPS: remember that Antarctica isn't a TROPICAL CLIMATE - pack long underwear

PPPS: carve "DC was here" in some Antarctic rock face. Defacing the most untouched continent in the name of internet strangers is totally more methul than burning churches V:

ELLIPSES

Caoimhin
Location:In the magical land of Jersey... Watch your step and don't trip on the cows.

Postby Caoimhin » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:59 am

Hey elipses are my THING! :evil: . Anyway, glad to hear you have a job offer. With the economy the way it is, it's good to know that people are still being payed to look at rocks :wink: . Also, nice way of saying goodbye by putting your old avatar up, it brings me back to the old DC :grin: . Good bye and happy trails :wag: .

datherman

Postby datherman » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:31 am

You've been an iconic part of DC history, moreso than I even know, and we shall truly miss you. More than likely we'll still be here if you should ever choose to come back.

Good luck Angela, you've got us all rooting for you with whatever you choose to make of your life.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.

Rikirk

Postby Rikirk » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:03 am

Ill say my peace here too...
The best I can offer is Fare thee well.
"Yes, yes I'll admit I tuned you out but in my defense its because I've already figured out you're stupid." Dr. Rodney McKay Stargate: Atlantis

"Did you say mattress?,...I did ask you not to. Now I have to get into the fish tank and sing."

likeafox
Administrator

Postby likeafox » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:27 pm

A sad, sad moment in DC history right here. Angela is one of the best, and one of the most characteristically DC members.

It sucks that you feel totally out of touch with this place. It is not surprizing you do, because of sparse attendance and new unknown MFF people in the chatroom. So yes, that will happen, but DC has changed much less than you think! It's still many of the people you've been friends with for half a decade. DC will not be DC without you. It will be part of DC. Because you will always be (the other) part of DC.

I wish you best of luck, and good health and times in your new life adventures in Antarctica. Tell us how you're doing every once in a while, eh? I hope it won't be any more complicated than uplinking to nearest space satellite.

We had some good times, you and I. I will miss you Angela :(

I mean it.

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:20 pm

Take care, Angela - I'm sure whatever you end up doing will be brilliant and amazing and I expect photos of Antarctica sometime! You geologists have all the fun. It's very odd to see you leaving forever (although you will be back, everyone always comes back), and I wish you all the best for the future.

Bye :(
If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. (Revelation 2:5, NIV)
Josh Woodward, Ohio Singer/Songwriter, offers his songs for free. Give him a listen.

Tom_Radigan

Postby Tom_Radigan » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:56 am

I drew this picture to mark the occasion:
Attachments
arloestgoodbye 001.jpg
arloestgoodbye 001.jpg (136.13KiB)Viewed 19365 times

LewisTheTank

Postby LewisTheTank » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:31 pm

I'm sure this spot is more for those who are better known to you but I just wish to say good luck in your walk. May you find your way back to your friends again!
:) :smile: :)
"Do you really think you have what it takes? Do you?"

Arloest
Moderator (retired)

Postby Arloest » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:10 am

Update:

I'm all over the god damn place right now. Good times though! Thanks guys! Now I'll probably disappear for another 5 months lol
Who sleeps shall awake, greeting the shadows from the sun
Who sleeps shall awake, looking through the window of our lives
Waiting for the moment to arrive...
Show us the silence in the rise,
So that we may someday understand...

Return to “Airport”