Because I'm a selfish topic hogging bastard...

A place to talk about anything (that doesn't belong in the other forums).

Moderator:Æron

Caoimhin
Location:In the magical land of Jersey... Watch your step and don't trip on the cows.
Because I'm a selfish topic hogging bastard...

Postby Caoimhin » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:48 pm

I've been mulling over finally getting Oblivion for my laptop. I'm mostly a PC gaming noob due to never having a computer that can compitently play anything beyond Civ IV (NWN2 I can barely count, as EVERYONE has issues with that game). I've been able to play a heavily modded Morrowind (graphic replacers and such, I think I had the max available amount of plug-ins actually and had minimal trouble with FPS) and enjoy the game very much, in fact I prefer the atmosphere of that game to Oblivion.

But with great mods out there and my inability to get MGE and ME working (let alone understand it, a few of the most essential mods require it), I desperately want to be able to rebuild Kvatch (that was so damn glaring, that captain of the guard guy stands there for the ENTIRE game, it pisses me off!) and such. I really need to know.

Heres the specs:

Model HP Pavilion dv9700 Notebook PC
Total amount of system memory 3.75 GB RAM
System type 64-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 2 (AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-60)

Storage
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total size of hard disk(s) 233 GB
Disk partition (C:) 131 GB Free (220 GB Total)
Disk partition (D:) 2 GB Free (13 GB Total)

Graphics
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce 7150M / nForce 630M
Total available graphics memory 1071 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 64 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 1007 MB
Display adapter driver version 7.15.11.7991
Primary monitor resolution 1440x900
DirectX version DirectX 9.0 or better

I'm asking /DC, can I decently play Oblivion:GotY on at least Med-low settings (although a very special caveat is that I'll be able to set View Distance as far as possible, 3/4 of the way at least) with stuttering only occasionally. I don't play full-on mage-type characters and can do without Destruction as a major skill (I only just started playing one with such). However what worries me is that I'll be playing fine and then have A SINGLE FLARE spell knock my CPU on its ass and have my FPS down to one, then get swarmed and die... I'd rather not have my play style completely dictated by my damn medium of play :P . I'm not just going to avoid areas with tons of spellcasters (although player-made content will probably make that less of a problem, mopre to do). I can do with Low graphics settings, but I'd like the highest resolution as possible.

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Re: Because I'm a selfish topic hogging bastard...

Postby nickspoon » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:57 pm

Generally speaking your system is well-equipped to run recent software, but you'll struggle to run games due to the relatively weak integrated graphics. The 7510M uses shared system memory (slower than dedicated graphics memory) and has a very low number of pixel shaders, which means that it will likely be inadequate to run Oblivion, possibly even on the lowest graphics settings. Unfortunately, because it's integrated graphics (as is common on laptops), you won't be able to upgrade it.
If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. (Revelation 2:5, NIV)
Josh Woodward, Ohio Singer/Songwriter, offers his songs for free. Give him a listen.

Caoimhin
Location:In the magical land of Jersey... Watch your step and don't trip on the cows.

Postby Caoimhin » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:19 pm

Thanks, its good to know my limits from now on.

likeafox
Administrator

Postby likeafox » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:11 pm

I'd recommend playing Morrowind first anyway :wag:

Caoimhin

Postby Caoimhin » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:29 pm

I'd recommend playing Morrowind first anyway :wag:
I already have played it with rocking success... Although I never really completed anything, I got too distracted trying to get the damn mods to work :P, I'd spend days downloading stuff (which takes up space) then hours extracting and such... I am also currently without a mouse.

Return to “Anything”