Segovia's Compositions

A place for any sort of art you have done.

Moderator:Æron

Segovia
Segovia's Compositions

Postby Segovia » Sat May 30, 2009 2:59 pm

I finally figured out how to record my compositions on to a music file and using Movie Maker I can share them with y'all. Now I must admit that all of my compositions are kind of short musical tunes I made for the piano or an orchestra so nothing serious... yet. Anyway the first composition I want to share is one that I have mentioned a couple of times in the past. Here's The Llewellyn Family Wedding March by me, Johnathan Michael Cruz Segovia.

Some back round on the song. I first composed it around October before I joined DC. I originally composed it for DC Simpson in hopes that she would put it on here or get some artwork out of it. Anyway I have to say that the middle part of the song does sound a little bit like a christmas song but I have to state that there is a difference. Just try to ignore it and enjoy the rest of the song.

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Sat May 30, 2009 4:31 pm

Not bad, I'd say.
If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. (Revelation 2:5, NIV)
Josh Woodward, Ohio Singer/Songwriter, offers his songs for free. Give him a listen.

Chris

Postby Chris » Sat May 30, 2009 8:29 pm

Hmmm, Interesting, I liked the christmas song you referrenced somewhere in the middle.

Segovia

Postby Segovia » Sat May 30, 2009 9:04 pm

Hmmm, Interesting, I liked the christmas song you referrenced somewhere in the middle.
It's not a christmas song! And thank you!

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Sat May 30, 2009 9:46 pm

I distinctly hear "O Come All Ye Faithful" in there.
If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. (Revelation 2:5, NIV)
Josh Woodward, Ohio Singer/Songwriter, offers his songs for free. Give him a listen.

Chris

Postby Chris » Sat May 30, 2009 10:27 pm

I distinctly hear "O Come All Ye Faithful" in there.
What he said. Infact, Re-listening to the clip again, it sounds pretty much a smashed up version of "O Come All Ye Faithful".

Segovia

Postby Segovia » Sun May 31, 2009 12:43 am

*sigh* I saw this coming so I came up with a list of facts to justify my conclusion that the middle part in my composition is not a christmas song.

1) the only simularity between the two is that they sound "similiar". Of course the simularity is all up to the listener. Given the human variable that the listener hears what they want to hear, this makes the actual testimony of the listener, a some what flaud piece of evidence.

2) The keys the two songs are in fact different. For most versions of O come all ye faithful are written in the key of G and my composition is written in the key of B flat. OF course there is the technique of trasposition however it only works if the actual rhythms are the same. Which leads me to my 3rd reason.

3) The rhythms are not the same. First of all if you actually looked at a hymn book you would see that O come all ye faithful starts off on a pick up note. My composition starts right on the down beat of a measure. After that down beat there would be a half note. How can the two be the same when one's a half note and the other has two quarter notes? They can't! Plus there is that run in my composition that O come all ye faithful does not have.

In conclusion you "Think" you are hearing O come all ye faithful, when you are not. Just accept it and move on.

osprey

Postby osprey » Sun May 31, 2009 2:41 am

Lol, I would not have heard O Come All Ye Faithful had you not brought it up. Not bad though, I will say.
OK. pants it. I lied. It's drum and bass. What you gonna do?

Segovia

Postby Segovia » Sun May 31, 2009 2:46 am

Thank you Osprey! I think I manage well for a person with only 3 years of Middle School and 1 year of Highschool Musical Education. I do have more but that's until another time.

datherman

Postby datherman » Sun May 31, 2009 5:07 am

It does sound like Oh Come All Ye Faithful at certain points. You can either accept that fact or you can keep saying "NO YOU ALL ARE WRONG YOU'RE INTERPRETING IT WRONG STOP ITTTTTT" and ignore everyone's comments. Your choice.

Just because it's not exactly the same doesn't mean they can't sound similar. Also your "different key" argument is invalid since it still goes up and down the same number of half-steps as it does in OCAYF.

That's not to say that the resemblance is a bad thing. The similarity may make some people like it more. But arguing with your listeners on what-you-meant vs what-they-hear is a losing battle.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.

Dr. Sticks

Postby Dr. Sticks » Sun May 31, 2009 5:36 am

a different key changes nothing about a song
http://www.spingain.com/?ref=146518
Well put doog. You never posted anything offensive whatsoever
we know she'll be back, like a good bitch should.

Jakkal

Postby Jakkal » Sun May 31, 2009 8:21 am

yeah, I can hear that chistmas song, too.
It's not... bad, I mean ok when using it as a theme or something. when there are 26 sec left (changing from 2 hand to one hand) isn't there a mistake? Sounds like you played one note (dunno the english word) too much. It's normal to refer songs to other ones. When I am "smashing on the Keyboard (music one)" like you did actually, there are always some similaritys. And it's childish to blame us, that we can hear this out, or to say "no you can't hear it".
It could be "greater" more voices and variations. It's a wedding, not the give out of the oblates (Kommunion), where you sometimes can hear such "background-music". But keep doing and trying...

Chris

Postby Chris » Sun May 31, 2009 11:59 am

*sigh* I saw this coming so I came up with a list of facts to justify my conclusion that the middle part in my composition is not a christmas song.

1) the only simularity between the two is that they sound "similiar". Of course the simularity is all up to the listener. Given the human variable that the listener hears what they want to hear, this makes the actual testimony of the listener, a some what flaud piece of evidence.

Hearing O Come All Ye Faithful on your entire life, you can't really forget the song. Infact, when i first heard your wedding march, OCAYF lyrics suddenly flashed back to me. So, we're pretty sure the middle of the clips indeed a referrence to O Come All Ye Faithful.
2) The keys the two songs are in fact different. For most versions of O come all ye faithful are written in the key of G and my composition is written in the key of B flat. OF course there is the technique of trasposition however it only works if the actual rhythms are the same. Which leads me to my 3rd reason.
Keys doesn't change the song. My favourite band plays their own songs in different keys and pitch whenever they do gigs or shows.
3) The rhythms are not the same. First of all if you actually looked at a hymn book you would see that O come all ye faithful starts off on a pick up note. My composition starts right on the down beat of a measure. After that down beat there would be a half note. How can the two be the same when one's a half note and the other has two quarter notes? They can't! Plus there is that run in my composition that O come all ye faithful does not have.
OCAYF can be heard pretty clearly here in your clip. Infact, i might dig out a christmas CD just to verify it here.

Denying you took the chorus line of O come all ye faithful kinda reminds me of a band where they entirely ripped a intro of a another band's song without crediting the original composer, the only difference between the original and the ripped off was. They added some pretty "stuff" and changed the pitch, made the tempo abit faster and switched the electric guitar to a classical one.... They got pretty much in trouble due to copyright issues....they disbanded a 1 1/2 years later.

We're just saying, don't deny the fact the chorus line of OCAYF is there.

In short, the song is not bad. Infact, i like it. But, atleast credit the original song writer where you took some of the lines you added in your clip and don't deny it.

-Chris

EDIT: WHAT?! I WROTE A MASSIVE WALL OF TEXT??! :shock:

osprey

Postby osprey » Sun May 31, 2009 6:04 pm

]Keys doesn't change the song. My favourite band plays their own songs in different keys and pitch whenever they do gigs or shows.
This reminds me a bit of Phish. They change things up a lot in their shows including the key of the song, and they add in a bunch of stuff to their songs (it's what they're known for obviously), but you can always tell what song it is in the end.
OK. pants it. I lied. It's drum and bass. What you gonna do?

Dr. Sticks

Postby Dr. Sticks » Sun May 31, 2009 7:11 pm

but that's just because they're a bunch of potheads playing for an even bigger number of potheads and they don't care and can't tell
http://www.spingain.com/?ref=146518
Well put doog. You never posted anything offensive whatsoever
we know she'll be back, like a good bitch should.

Return to “Arts”