Tuesday, March 25th, 2008 - Tabula rasa

Discussion of any of the archived O&M comics, and potential new ones should they ever come about.

Moderator:Æron

Derrick Fish

Postby Derrick Fish » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:47 pm

But the cast of "Peanuts" aged a few years over the course of 49.
That tends to catch people off guard when I tell them that Charlie Brown was originally Lucy's babysitter! Then, he babysat Linus. Heck, the VanPelt clan popped out a lot of kids to be babysat by Chuck. Of course, they grew up a Little, hitting that bizarre ceiling of whatever age the kids are supposed to be. (Except Rerun who only advanced as far as Kindergarten.)

I've aged my characters about 2 years total throughout the strip, moving them into Middle School (Or Jr. High, as I called it.) and it's been fun, although I rarely even SHOW them in School, so it was largely just an excuse to change the human designs a bit.

I AM curious if D.C. really is intending this changeover, or if we're reading too much into it. I mean, how many episodes of the Simpsons make references to the kids advancing a grade or having a Birthday without ever altering the basic status quo?

Rievan

Postby Rievan » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:50 pm

I am pretty sure that the Tabula Rasa is a theory by John Locke, also in my opinion it stresses a posteriori thoughts chains.
In Western philosophy, traces of the idea that came to be called the tabula rasa appear as early as the writings of Aristotle.
You were right that it can be traced to other times, but the fact is that I claimed that John Locke theorized about the Tabula Rasa, and he did.
"Let us then suppose the mind to be, as we say, white paper, void of all characters, without any ideas: How comes it to be furnished?...To this I answer, in one word, from experience." John Locke, An Essay Concerning Human Understanding (Cleavland and New York: Meridian Books, 1964), 89.
Ecce Homo

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:44 am

I think Derrick's right. I was more surprised by the insinuation that they're already in sixth grade. They don't seem that age.

datherman

Postby datherman » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:49 am

I think Derrick's right. I was more surprised by the insinuation that they're already in sixth grade. They don't seem that age.
Many schools in the US have elementary school up to 5th grade, then 6-8 is middle school, though 1-6 and 7-8 is not unheard of.

They're 10 as far as I know, so I'd imagine they're in 5th grade at the moment.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.

Aahe

Postby Aahe » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:24 am

That's interesting, and Felicia and Millie seem to be getting along a little.
I'm not going to pick up on your sarcasm...

GeorgiaCoyote

Postby GeorgiaCoyote » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:28 pm

I am curious to see how things turn out with them in middle school if that indeed does happen. I know all to well about the slate being wiped clean. For the most part, my high school experiences were a sight better than middle school. Gotta love transitions...at least some of the times.
Nathan

Tom Flapwell

Postby Tom Flapwell » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:04 pm

how many episodes of the Simpsons make references to the kids advancing a grade or having a Birthday without ever altering the basic status quo?
I like to use birthdays as a demonstration of the difference between early and later "Simpsons" episodes. When Lisa turned eight, that was a major focal point of the episode. We were meant to feel sorry for her when things didn't go right and be happy when they did. But in a 2000 episode, Lisa briefly mentioned that it was her birthday (age unstated), which served only as a flimsy launching point for an unrelated story. Things appeared to be going worse for her than before, but we were supposed to laugh and not feel sorry.

Guess which era I liked better.
See other much-maligned creatures in my webcomic: http://downscale.comicgenesis.com

Return to “O&M Strips”