The tarts

Discuss everything related to Ozy and Millie.
Extreme-Speed
Re: hmmm...

Postby Extreme-Speed » Thu May 29, 2008 4:06 am

To be more exact, the decline in quality, in particular that of the storyline, began declining around the time 'I Drew This' started.

I think that what made Ozy and Millie interesting for me was the use of political humour in a comic which is otherwise character driven. This is something which I still find to be unique. Never in my voyages through the interwebs have I come across another webcomic which does the same thing. When 'I Drew This' was created, many of the political overtones in Ozy and Millie disappeared, leaving an ordinary character driven comic. That would be fine normally but character driven humour does tend to get old very quickly unless there is significant character development within the comic. This is opposed to political humour which, thanks to the ever changing nature of politics, remains fresher. Ozy and Millie was already many years old when this change occured, the characters were already familiar and thus, it became predictable very quickly.

This being my opinion, one may wonder why I didn't start following 'I Drew This' when it came out. While it is true that the humour of it is fresher, it is also essencially the same has the myriad of other political comics out there.

What made Ozy and Millie special was the combination of average political/social humour mixed with average character driven humour.

In my opinion at least.

-Squeak ("The whole is greater than the sum of it's parts")
aaaaaaaaaa! overthinking!

gforce422

Postby gforce422 » Thu May 29, 2008 5:02 am

To be more exact, the decline in quality, in particular that of the storyline, began declining around the time 'I Drew This' started.

I think that what made Ozy and Millie interesting for me was the use of political humour in a comic which is otherwise character driven. This is something which I still find to be unique. Never in my voyages through the interwebs have I come across another webcomic which does the same thing. When 'I Drew This' was created, many of the political overtones in Ozy and Millie disappeared, leaving an ordinary character driven comic. That would be fine normally but character driven humour does tend to get old very quickly unless there is significant character development within the comic. This is opposed to political humour which, thanks to the ever changing nature of politics, remains fresher. Ozy and Millie was already many years old when this change occured, the characters were already familiar and thus, it became predictable very quickly.

This being my opinion, one may wonder why I didn't start following 'I Drew This' when it came out. While it is true that the humour of it is fresher, it is also essencially the same has the myriad of other political comics out there.

What made Ozy and Millie special was the combination of average political/social humour mixed with average character driven humour.

In my opinion at least.

-Squeak ("The whole is greater than the sum of it's parts")
Yet true in most aspects. :)
gforce422 is awesome because:
-He made the absolute nicest comments about me in the other topic. I didn't respond to them yet, because I suck, but they are greatly appreciated! =D
-I would say he would also be a good runner up as one of the nicest people alive.
-He joined the IRC sometimes. But not enough, I say! Chat moar =D
-He is evidently only 18 year old but he could easily pass for 25. =D
-He is a drummer like *I* am and this in itself is cool.
Astro> gforce's smiles can cure cancer in kittens
Astro> the happiness radiating from your person is enough to solve tensor calculus
<mib_4do271>everything you touch explodes in pillows of happiness

Sage

Postby Sage » Thu May 29, 2008 12:18 pm

Once upon a time there was a cake that lived with a pie. There were many happies until one day the evil baker took a knife to the pie, cutting it into 8 pieces. Then many people came and stuck forks and knives into the cake and devoured its corpse. It was a very delicious day.
Yet true in most aspects. :)
Yet his avatar is cool... lawl... I dunno why I like it so much.

Muninn
Moderator (retired)

Postby Muninn » Thu May 29, 2008 10:16 pm

This is opposed to political humour which, thanks to the ever changing nature of politics, remains fresher.
The names and dates may change but a hundred years from now satirists and comedians will still do jokes that don't deviate too much from the tried and tested "boy, those politicians sure are corrupt" line.

Not trying to be a jerk, just saying that sometimes what looks like change is just the same basic thing in a new skin.

Rooster

Postby Rooster » Fri May 30, 2008 11:56 pm

I still think that the strips sidelining of minor characters has let it down too. It used to be a really great ensemble piece with a good supporting cast, but now it's pretty formulaic with "Millie says something weird, Ozy wittily retorts".

Meh, maybe it's just me.

PHSphilip

Postby PHSphilip » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:06 am

*sigh*

I discovered the comic less than a week ago, read the entire archive in the course of 3 days, then when I finally reached the "current" page, I read the bottom... :sad:

Time to start rereading, I guess.

Priest_Revan

Postby Priest_Revan » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:09 am

*sigh*

I discovered the comic less than a week ago, read the entire archive in the course of 3 days, then when I finally reached the "current" page, I read the bottom... :sad:

If you really have nothing better to do, then go for it.
If you put peanutbutter anywhere on your body, I'll lick it off...

ANYWHERE.

ImageMy deviantart... though it does suck.
My FA... nothing's on it right now, so there's no point to click it.

PHSphilip

Postby PHSphilip » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:11 am

*sigh*

Studying for finals is overrated! :grin:

Priest_Revan

Postby Priest_Revan » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:28 am

*sigh*

Studying for finals is overrated! :grin:
True, but then again, I'm not sure what's better. Reading hundreds of O&M pages or studying.

Each sounds kinda boring.
If you put peanutbutter anywhere on your body, I'll lick it off...

ANYWHERE.

ImageMy deviantart... though it does suck.
My FA... nothing's on it right now, so there's no point to click it.

PHSphilip

Postby PHSphilip » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:36 am

Decisions, decisions.

datherman

Postby datherman » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:42 pm

I had a time last semester in which I told my friend to read hundreds of O&M comics for a school assignment. Needed reference material for our drawings you see.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.

Shinigetsu

Postby Shinigetsu » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:48 pm

"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings, look on my works ye mighty and despair!"

Nothing beside remains.

Bocaj Claw

Postby Bocaj Claw » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:29 pm

Aside from the online archives anyway.
That which does not kill me, cripples me for life.

My deviantART account

Shinigetsu

Postby Shinigetsu » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:57 pm

well technically

Caoimhin
Location:In the magical land of Jersey... Watch your step and don't trip on the cows.

Postby Caoimhin » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:38 pm

I guess it does have to end eventually. I hope DC stays however, I'd miss bursting in at random intervals :sad: . Well, I hope we see something dynamic in the future from DCS. Good luck with whatever you're planning! I'm looking forward to see how it ends :grin: .

Return to “Ozy and Millie”