Why like D.C. Simpson german words?

Discuss everything related to Ozy and Millie.
Angstwolf

Postby Angstwolf » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:57 pm

You could also learn a made-up language, like Lojban, Klingon or Esperanto.
OR PRIMAL LOLOLOLOL.

TyVulpine

Postby TyVulpine » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:19 pm

"easy" is no reason to do something
Easy as in easier than learning Chinese, Japanese or English.

Dr. Sticks

Postby Dr. Sticks » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:24 pm

like I said, easy is no reason to do something
http://www.spingain.com/?ref=146518
Well put doog. You never posted anything offensive whatsoever
we know she'll be back, like a good bitch should.

Ibun

Postby Ibun » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:19 pm

like I said, easy is no reason to do something
or someONE.
Killin' the first born of lyrical Yul Brynners.

Dr. Sticks

Postby Dr. Sticks » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:44 pm

yeah, I definitely regret doing Ibun

MuffinSticks

Postby MuffinSticks » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:47 pm

I have to object any time someone says Spanish is the easiest language to learn. German is definitely easiest for a native English speaker, since it is English's sister language. Most of the words are similar, the grammar rules aren't complicated, and it's fun to pronounce =D. People learn Spanish because they either need to or because it's the default language to learn in America.
КТО ТРОГАЛ МОЯ ПУШКА

<Muninn> Too furry for saneville, too girly for boystown
see, how far raine dog got placed in the background? take that you blue bitch

Ormur

Postby Ormur » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:29 am

I find that the hardest thing about learning languages is not learning the words and grammar and such but actually understanding what people are saying and how to say things.

It took me three courses to get all the basics of French grammar pretty well but I don't don't understand it after five.

I knew English before I knew anything about the grammar because it's spoken and written everywhere around me. How the words are written doesn't really make any sense but that just forced me to memorize how they look and sound.

In know English better than other languages that are much more closely related to my native language. But English is still related to it so it would be a different matter if it were Chinese that was so common around me.

Angstwolf

Postby Angstwolf » Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:45 pm

People learn Spanish because they either need to or because it's the default language to learn in America.
I took it because I think it sounds better than French or German and those were my two other choices at my junior high school.

MuffinSticks

Postby MuffinSticks » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:28 pm

People learn Spanish because they either need to or because it's the default language to learn in America.
I took it because I think it sounds better than French or German and those were my two other choices at my junior high school.
Speaking Spanish will make even the most dignified figure sound like an orange selling criminal. Don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against Mexicans, their language just sounds horrible. Of course, this is all just IMO, no offense towards your opinion.
КТО ТРОГАЛ МОЯ ПУШКА

Tom Flapwell

Postby Tom Flapwell » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:49 am

I chose to study Spanish because I found it synesthetically tastier than my other starting option, French. By the time I had more options, I was more concerned with mastering one language than moving on to another. I considered branching out in college, but college language courses take too many hours.

Last Christmas, my folks gave me a choice among expensive presents, one of which was a course in Japanese. I opted for an easy chair instead.

Funny you should bring up Farsi, Muffin. Earlier today, I was visiting relatives, one of whom talks only in Farsi. A friend of the family has been studying it and struggled to understand. She says that written Farsi is even more challenging than Chinese.
See other much-maligned creatures in my webcomic: http://downscale.comicgenesis.com

MuffinSticks

Postby MuffinSticks » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:40 am

She says that written Farsi is even more challenging than Chinese.
=O Blasphemy!
I probably would have tried to learn Arabic or Japanese if the handwriting wasn't freaking calligraphy.
КТО ТРОГАЛ МОЯ ПУШКА

Svix

Postby Svix » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:19 pm

Wow, a thread was revived after 7 months without anyone complaining, I am impressed.

Isn't English the wordiest language? Whilst I enjoy learning other languages I often feel I am still learning English; the huge vocabulary and subtle differences in words and phrase it can encompass.

I'm currently writing a scientific report which advises me to 'try to keep sentences as short and simple as possible.', yet I have an fondness for eloquent writing that I don't wish to overly subdue.

Tom Flapwell

Postby Tom Flapwell » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:04 pm

English does have the largest number of words. I think German comes in second with about a quarter as many.
See other much-maligned creatures in my webcomic: http://downscale.comicgenesis.com

Dr. Sticks

Postby Dr. Sticks » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:23 pm

that's only because the dictionary organizations add BS slang terms with a 1.3 year lifespan to the dictionary forever, like bootylicious. Can you imagine, 70 years from now, our grandchildren will be in elementary school, looking through the dictionary for dirty words like "breast", and come upon a funny word called "bootylicious" with the definition: "adj. archaic term for a person with a large butt" or whatever

Ormur

Postby Ormur » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:42 am

It also includes about half a million words only people in very specialized fields will ever need to know.

That and the fact that you can use lots of fancy words you borrowed from French or Latin.

Return to “Ozy and Millie”