Names And What They Mean

Discuss everything related to Ozy and Millie.
Max Kodan
Names And What They Mean

Postby Max Kodan » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:47 am

If this topic has already come up, lock this one and link me to that one, if you could...

Some of the names chosen in Ozy and Millie have some unusual backgrounds. Ozymandias is, as it's said in the character page, the name of a poem published in 1818. I wasn't sure if the whole poem was posted here yet, so I wiki'd it.

OZYMANDIAS

I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them on the sand,
Half sunk, a shatter'd visage lies, whose frown
And wrinkled lip and sneer of cold command
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamp'd on these lifeless things,
The hand that mock'd them and the heart that fed.
And on the pedestal these words appear:
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains: round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

(Rhyme scheme: ABABACDCEDEFEF)

The other's I haven't had as much luck finding. Llewellyn is an annoyingly common name.

Sage

Postby Sage » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:00 pm

I think the poem has come up innumerable times... and
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
has probably been cited again and again and again...

Strangely, I have never personally seen the name "llewellyn." We know that "Wahnsinnig" is "insane" in German... not sure about Larnblatt (when was the last time he appeared in the strip BTW?)

Yes, these names seem a little odd, but I like them... :D

rabid_fox

Postby rabid_fox » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:41 pm

It's a startlingly excellent poem, right up there with Yeats' masterpiece, "The Second Coming".

Ah, gods, I do love the Romantics. They were mental.
Thither

Tom Flapwell

Postby Tom Flapwell » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:57 pm

I would guess that "Avery" is meant to evoke "every," because he wants to be an everycoon.
See other much-maligned creatures in my webcomic: http://downscale.comicgenesis.com

rabid_fox

Postby rabid_fox » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:22 pm

Timulty - tumultuous. I hope. It suggests that in later life, he'll suffer several severe breakdowns, end up with a live-in helper by the time he's 23 and never really recover well enough to function as in individual. Avery will visit him now and then...but the visits will become less frequent because of Timulty's aggressive behaviour towards family.
Thither

Muninn
Moderator (retired)

Postby Muninn » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:35 am

Timulty - tumultuous. I hope. It suggests that in later life, he'll suffer several severe breakdowns, end up with a live-in helper by the time he's 23 and never really recover well enough to function as in individual. Avery will visit him now and then...but the visits will become less frequent because of Timulty's aggressive behaviour towards family.
Timulty is not Syd Barrett.

CameronCN

Postby CameronCN » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:40 am

Millicent=Maleficent. :-P
My DeviantArt | My LiveJournal | My Webcomic
Cameron is awesome because:
-Because he has an artistic style that is both complex and minimalist. This is profound!
-He once drew me as a roadrunner. It was an actual honest to god feral roadrunner, but a roadrunner nonetheless!
-He lives in Idaho among the wilderness and stuff and I envy him for that. 3:
-He is probably one of the most personable artists on here.
-I think he's the only one of us on here who drew a fanart that made it as a guest strip on O&M. This is an accomplishment!

Zaaphod
Moderator (retired)

Postby Zaaphod » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:48 am

Timulty is not Syd Barrett.
Let's hope he's not Arnold Layne either. :P
Made by Angela. :D

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:45 am

I'm kind of curious what "Ozymandias" was originally Greek for (I think it's Greek; his Egyptian name was Ramses).

I've always kind of suspected Millie might have been named for political philosopher J.S. Mill, but I'm probably miles off. And I went so far as to ask D.C. where "Timulty" came from, but never heard back.

Rocketman

Postby Rocketman » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:55 am

I'm kind of curious what "Ozymandias" was originally Greek for (I think it's Greek; his Egyptian name was Ramses).
It's apparently a transliteration into Greek of one of the Pharaoh's titles, "User-maat-Re".

Kazapsky

Postby Kazapsky » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:30 pm

Strangely, I have never personally seen the name "llewellyn." We know that "Wahnsinnig" is "insane" in German... not sure about Larnblatt (when was the last time he appeared in the strip BTW?)
"Larnblatt" is probably the noise a lot of his students end up producing in his class, whether intentionally atonal or not.

Max Kodan

Postby Max Kodan » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:13 am

Actually, there's a LOT of Llewellyns out there. So much so that Llewellyn is accepted by spell check >>. Unfortunately, there's at least 5 people our Llewellyn could be based off of...lots of Authors, poets, playwrights, actors, kings, lords, even some guy who helped someone escape from the english and was executed for it. Go ahead, wiki his name, there's plenty to read.

I think the only way we'll know for sure is if someone who actually knows tells us.

Ah, and THIS one I found interesting >>;

Llewelyn Lewellin (1798–1878), British cleric and university educator

rabid_fox

Postby rabid_fox » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:07 pm

A side point to mention here - in Ireland, a "Millie" is a really derogatory term for a girl.

Basically means a slutty self-obsessed little tart. The English might be familiar with "chavette", which is a similar idea.
Thither

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:20 pm

A side point to mention here - in Ireland, a "Millie" is a really derogatory term for a girl.

Basically means a slutty self-obsessed little tart. The English might be familiar with "chavette", which is a similar idea.
I heard about that on the radio, apparently the Irish find it hilarious when the English call their children 'Millie'.
If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. (Revelation 2:5, NIV)
Josh Woodward, Ohio Singer/Songwriter, offers his songs for free. Give him a listen.

rabid_fox

Postby rabid_fox » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:24 pm

We find it funnier when you call them Chantelle.
Thither

Return to “Ozy and Millie”