Llewellyn?

Discuss everything related to Ozy and Millie.
SotiCoto
Llewellyn?

Postby SotiCoto » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:40 pm

I couldn't help but wonder if the name, such as it is, might be intended as some sort of joke?
Perhaps it was covered at some point in the archives but I don't remember...

Anyhow... the point is... Llywelyn is a Welsh name. Pay attention to the number of incidences of the letter "L". Afterall, in Welsh, "ll" is pronounced quite differently to "l", the former being soft and unvoiced (tongue-tip on roof of mouth and merely exhale across it) while the latter is as it is in English (voiced and with a harder sound).

So when the name "Llewellyn" was set in the comic... what I'm wondering is whether it was intended to be pronounced the Welsh way or not? Is it soft-LL or just an oddly spelt hard-L in each incident?

It is possible I'm just being needlessly picky, but my curiosity knows no bounds... and if I try to pronounce "Llewellynlland" in a North-Welsh (Gog) accent... it gives me a serious case of phlegm.

[Edit: Corrected to retroactively remove error.]
Last edited by SotiCoto on Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If you are under the age of 18, you are advised not to interact with me.

Richard K Niner

Postby Richard K Niner » Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:12 pm

Um, it's spelt "Llewellyn", not "Llywellyn" :P
<center>Image
K9U | Dog House | Av rotation</center>

SotiCoto

Postby SotiCoto » Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:22 pm

The irony... My spelling has been corrected in a thread I myself made questioning spelling (and pronounciation)...

Point.

I'm sure it is still basically intended to be the same word though, or at least derived therefrom. To be honest I was paying so much attention to one particular letter that I wasn't observing the rest.

^_^

Tom Flapwell

Postby Tom Flapwell » Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:50 pm

DCS gave the pronunciation as "loo ELL in" (rhymes with Gone with the Wind character Sue Ellen). Maybe Llewellyn was raised with an orthodox Welsh pronunciation for his name, but he decided not to correct every unknowing American.
See other much-maligned creatures in my webcomic: http://downscale.comicgenesis.com

SotiCoto

Postby SotiCoto » Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:11 pm

DCS gave the pronunciation as "loo ELL in" (rhymes with Gone with the Wind character Sue Ellen). Maybe Llewellyn was raised with an orthodox Welsh pronunciation for his name, but he decided not to correct every unknowing American.
I've done a little investigating in various places and noticed that the version with the second double-L is actually used some places. I can only suspect that it is some sort of Saes* error.

But fair enough.
For the record... the first LL is most definitely supposed to be pronounced softly with no voice. Just inhale... put your tongue on the roof of your mouth (slightly further back than the tip, so not an Ssss), just back from your teeth.... and exhale over it to get the right sound. If not that then practice saying "Lha" and you'll probably get the same effect.

As a random aside... I'm sure if I pronounced your name (or screen-name, as given in posts) the Welsh way enough in your presence, you would end up slapping me for it eventually.

CodeCat

Postby CodeCat » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:12 pm

It still doesn't beat Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch though, with its two consecutive ll's. :P
Furries? Are they the nutters that pretend to be animals and draw humans that look like animals? Christ, I sink my head into my paws... -Rooster

SotiCoto

Postby SotiCoto » Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:28 am

It still doesn't beat Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch though, with its two consecutive ll's. :P
What is perhaps even more ridiculous is that not only can I pronounce that perfectly... but I know the whole word without having to look it up anywhere...

.... and have been there...

.. twice.

CodeCat

Postby CodeCat » Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:34 am

I've been there and I can spell it as well. Haven't got the pronunciation right though. Not yet...
Furries? Are they the nutters that pretend to be animals and draw humans that look like animals? Christ, I sink my head into my paws... -Rooster

osprey

Postby osprey » Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:13 am

I was half-heartedly watching some drag racing a few months ago, and there was a competitor whose last name was Llewellyn...and the commentators pronounced it the same way DC does.
OK. pants it. I lied. It's drum and bass. What you gonna do?

SotiCoto

Postby SotiCoto » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:56 am

I was half-heartedly watching some drag racing a few months ago, and there was a competitor whose last name was Llewellyn...and the commentators pronounced it the same way DC does.
And I'd bet some serious money they aren't Welsh, and thus weren't pronouncing it correctly.

To be fair... while Welsh has many sounds in common with French that English doesn't (nor american)... I have reason to believe this is a more distinct one.

Dhokarena56

Postby Dhokarena56 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:37 pm

In Welsh, Ll stands for a voiceless lateral fricative sound, which in X-Sampa is /K/.
Anthrope! Me paideusete Homeron moi?

CodeCat

Postby CodeCat » Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:39 pm

Indeed.

SotiCoto

Postby SotiCoto » Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:49 am

In Welsh, Ll stands for a voiceless lateral fricative sound, which in X-Sampa is /K/.
Is that what they call it these days?
Meh... I'm a Palaeobiologist by education; not a language expert, so I can only assume you're right there.

klimt

Postby klimt » Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:25 am

i am having difficulties imagining how it would sound in welsh.

please post some kind of recording with it being said properly.

Hanging Tree

Postby Hanging Tree » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:45 am

To pronounce words like the Welsh you need to add a coal miners cough and the bitter twang of poverty.

Return to “Ozy and Millie”