O&M Video Game - REVIVED TOPIC

Discuss everything related to Ozy and Millie.
Steve the Pocket
O&M Video Game - REVIVED TOPIC

Postby Steve the Pocket » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:12 am

A big part of why I miss the old days of this forum is that we never seem to discuss cool stuff like this anymore. I'd like to hear the newbies' take on this.

Ozy and Millie video game: What would it be like? How would/could it be made?

Part of why I bring this up is that I have recently discovered there is a "Jack" game. Not a very good one; it doesn't even seem to run at a decent speed on my computer (given that it's a 320×200 8-bit game, that's not good). But nonetheless it does exist.

Disco Inferno

Postby Disco Inferno » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:14 am

The game would have to be an RPG so that there is a ton of text to skin over before getting to the part that matters

Kyler Thatch

Postby Kyler Thatch » Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:17 pm

I imagine the game would be 10 parts surreal, and 3 parts other qualities. Or something like that.

If it's going to be implemented at all, though, it's going to need a group of people who simultaneously:
1) know how to get it done (or know how to get people who can)
2) want it badly enough to see the project through to the end

*wonders what happened to the O&M animation project*
Rainy Day Donuts
Made from 110% recycled paper

Tom Flapwell

Postby Tom Flapwell » Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:57 pm

Maybe an "adventure" game, in the vein of The Longest Journey. That way the characters won't have to deal with much violence.

Dr. Doog

Postby Dr. Doog » Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:12 pm

back when Blue Blur first joined, he tried to get a team going on this. We were making the game in GameMaker, it was a platformer. He had some level ideas that worked for the personalities. The game never went anywhere as it was only him, me, and another programmer (and none of us did much work on it) but if you guys would like some ideas and concepts you can ask BB for what he had.

In our version we had large sprites of ozy and millie, but Jerry Roosevelt seems to be an alright pixel artist, having done one of both characters before if I recall. My friend and I as well are interested in the subject of pixel art, and are always looking for a computer game idea to collaborate on.

This is my two cents.
pants jesus
DCS should've ended the comic a year or two ago.

santi
Location:Milky Way, Solar System, Earth, SAmeruca, Colombia, Armenia, My House, in front of the Drawing Table

Postby santi » Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:40 pm

It could become an awesome graphic adventure, a good rpg or a lame plataformer

Burning Sheep Productions

Postby Burning Sheep Productions » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:10 pm

back when Blue Blur first joined, he tried to get a team going on this. We were making the game in GameMaker, it was a platformer. He had some level ideas that worked for the personalities. The game never went anywhere as it was only him, me, and another programmer (and none of us did much work on it) but if you guys would like some ideas and concepts you can ask BB for what he had.
I offered to help with that since I've got plenty of experience with Game Maker but they never accepted the offer.
I'll still assist if the game is to be made in Game Maker.

Arloest
Moderator (retired)

Postby Arloest » Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:08 am

I dunno - I don't see it happening with a comic like Ozy and Millie. Jack is different. It's hardly a comic strip, but more of a serious graphic novel, thus presenting a much better premise to support a video game. I suppose the whole backwards dimension from under the couch might present an interesting premise, but the whole thing seems a bit over the top for this kind of a comic strip.
Who sleeps shall awake, greeting the shadows from the sun
Who sleeps shall awake, looking through the window of our lives
Waiting for the moment to arrive...
Show us the silence in the rise,
So that we may someday understand...

Postby Burning Sheep Productions » Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:16 am

I agree, a game wouldn't do the comic justice very easily.
But still, fun to be involved in projects like these.

BladeRaptor

Postby BladeRaptor » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:46 pm

Yeah, this "slice of life" kinda thing doesn't lend itself well to video games. Many people lived the comic, to some degree, so why would they want to play it? I imagine a little Flash game based on it might be passable, but like Burning Sheep said, the game medium wouldn't do it justice.

osprey

Postby osprey » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:15 am

I agree, and also flash games annoy me (you hear that Newgrounds?!). It would have to be done as a full executable game to properly do it justice. I'm leaning towards an action game, preferrably 3rd person 3D. Nothing ultra violent, perhaps just some comic violence.

Oh, by the way...
OK. pants it. I lied. It's drum and bass. What you gonna do?

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:01 am

Those of you who like the idea of doing it as an adventure game, you're in luck. Thanks to one NeoFur on the Furtopia forums, I discovered a free application called Adventure Game Studio. I poked around in it, and it looks promising, though I haven't tried actually doing anything yet.

Blue Blur

Postby Blue Blur » Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:26 pm

I offered to help with that since I've got plenty of experience with Game Maker but they never accepted the offer.
I'll still assist if the game is to be made in Game Maker.
Yeah, we were kinda going on one person making the engine, then the rest of us making the actual game. Frankly, what I see it as is a basic puzzle game with the player figuring out basic stuff that was appropriate for the level.
I'm here, you just can't see me!

Triggerpoint is my not so new webcomic, and currently under heavy work before it resurfaces.

osprey

Postby osprey » Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:09 am

Game Maker basically is an engine on it's own. It's so easy that you could sit down and start making a game...you just need a bit of code experience to do more complicated things.
OK. pants it. I lied. It's drum and bass. What you gonna do?

Blue Blur

Postby Blue Blur » Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:09 pm

Yeah, he used the GM language. He could probably use C, for that matter, but won't learn it because he'd never use it enough. :P
I'm here, you just can't see me!

Triggerpoint is my not so new webcomic, and currently under heavy work before it resurfaces.

Return to “Ozy and Millie”