O&M Video Game - REVIVED TOPIC

Discuss everything related to Ozy and Millie.
Holyman83
Location:A bluish sphere in space orbiting a star in the Milky Way

Postby Holyman83 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:59 am

I think it is better than a mac. There binary files are ".DST". I really don't want to run anything that can be an abbreviation for destruct.

Zaaphod
Moderator (retired)

Postby Zaaphod » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:31 am

I think it is better than a mac. There binary files are ".DST". I really don't want to run anything that can be an abbreviation for destruct.
Or "Daylight Saving Time." I'm not sure which is worse. :P
Made by Angela. :D

Richard K Niner

Postby Richard K Niner » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:21 pm

Heh. On Linux, binary files don't have extensions, just +x bits.
<center>Image
K9U | Dog House | Av rotation</center>

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:00 am

I thought they were ".APP" ... or are those just shortcuts?

Anyway, interesting game. We seem to be at least heading in the right direction -- by which I mean we finally have a game for what I think is the first time. That's kind of a breakthrough, isn't it? Plus it means somebody finally put forth the effort to make a game. A game that requires no collaboration, yes, but still.

datherman

Postby datherman » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:19 am

The problem with making games is that, as you've discovered over the course of these 10 pages, nobody ever finishes them. Trust me, I'm a moderator at a Zelda fangame site that's existed since 2003. We get a couple of finished fangames a year, but usually nothing major. It takes a lot more time and effort than people think to really make a decent game, or even a half-mediocre one.

What you see in Mercury Madness is the result of hours upon hours of work put into my Link Maze game (http://linkmaze.vze.com), then a few more hours put into modifying it to fit the O&M theme. The level design was easy; it was the rest of the game logic that took forever. Now to be fair, part of the problem is that I used the whole thing as a learning experience in an attempt to learn how to use Game Maker, which definitely slowed things down. Even now I could probably only write a few lines of code by myself. In the end, Link Maze ended up as a gigantic compilation of other people's engines pieced together to resemble a half-decent minigame.

I guess the point is that any complex game is going to require more time and dedication than most people are willing to put forth. I've seen it time and time again at Zelda Fangame Central - people with tons of motivation to begin with, but after a month it fizzled out and died. Many a promising project has been lost to the graveyard after people simply lost interest in maintaining their games. We've got a community project going, people pooling their talents to try to make a large game, but as far as I know that really isn't going anywhere anymore.

I fully realize that my game isn't the greatest. The graphics need a complete overhaul, the concept is weak, and the gameplay is short. However, it did take a lot of time to make, even if it doesn't appear that way at first. Looking at version 2 or 3 of Link Maze, the fact that it was able to transform into Mercury Madness is actually quite extraordinary.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.

Muninn
Moderator (retired)

Postby Muninn » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:58 pm

I fully realize that my game isn't the greatest.
It's the best yet this topic has to offer.

Sage

Postby Sage » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:10 pm

Once I get home I shall try this :D

EDIT: uhg I hate mazes. Oh well, I got to that levelw here the screen got bigger and I quit :/

I wish I knew how to properly use Flash. I could make sum sweet games. Anyone know of any sites that teach how to make games in Flash?

datherman

Postby datherman » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:40 pm

EDIT: uhg I hate mazes. Oh well, I got to that levelw here the screen got bigger and I quit :/
Yeah, that's the last one. It's made to be very difficult.

Muninn
Moderator (retired)

Postby Muninn » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:58 am

I got until there and quit too. :?

Aahe

Postby Aahe » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:49 am

I wandered around a long time on that level then quit as well.

datherman

Postby datherman » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:50 am

Sage

Postby Sage » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:18 pm

That's how big the map is? That's insane! I would have spent a long time figuring that out.

in any case, we need some new video games. These first steps are nice though. let's see if I can find something on Flash?

Aahe

Postby Aahe » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:47 pm

Huge! Where's the thermometer?

datherman

Postby datherman » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:26 am

You start in the far upper left, end in the far upper right. I was too lazy to add the thermometer graphic in after pasting together 4 PrintScreens from the level editor.

Sage

Postby Sage » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:22 pm

*bump*

*bump*

Someone aughta fix dem *bump* potholes in dis road.

Return to “Ozy and Millie”