The really obvious question...

Discuss everything related to Ozy and Millie.
Foxhound

Postby Foxhound » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:43 pm

This thread is full of over-analyzing.
And these forums are full of under-analysing. I'm just balancing things out.
These forums have had the "why don't Ozy and Millie age normally" discussion more than once before this. A lot of us have been through it. Just like almost every other comic in existance the passage of time is left to the creator, and most people just accept it as it is - just like how most people accept that wizards aren't real, but still get captivated by reading about their adventures.
*Cough* Harry Potter *Cough*

Honestly, the debate's been done before. It doesn't really require such a discussion anyway because, hey, it's FICTION. Something that IS NOT REAL.
Image < http://stopvirgin.movielol.org/
ImageImage
"No matter how cynical you are, it is impossible to keep up."

Muninn
Moderator (retired)

Postby Muninn » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:33 pm

Actually just because it's been done doesn't mean we can't talk about it again. New members open topics older members have seen before (how many "favourite comics" topics have we had), but it's all good to get their ideas out there so long as they retain some civility about them and are open to different opinions.

Zaaphod
Moderator (retired)

Postby Zaaphod » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:57 am

The irony is ... I can't help but wonder where your (plural) lines would be drawn. I ponder just how abstract the webcomic medium would have to become in order for you to stop with a confused look on your respective faces and utter a "WTF?!" ...
Afterall... things making sense is how we come to "know" them and "understand" them... that we might relate to them and analyse them. If things don't make sense then our ability to do the rest is hindered.

Clear?
Look everyone, it's Ruedii Part 2!
Made by Angela. :D

Holyman83
Location:A bluish sphere in space orbiting a star in the Milky Way

Postby Holyman83 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:07 am

The irony is ... I can't help but wonder where your (plural) lines would be drawn. I ponder just how abstract the webcomic medium would have to become in order for you to stop with a confused look on your respective faces and utter a "WTF?!" ...
Afterall... things making sense is how we come to "know" them and "understand" them... that we might relate to them and analyse them. If things don't make sense then our ability to do the rest is hindered.

Clear?
uhg

SotiCoto

Postby SotiCoto » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:47 am

*Cough* Harry Potter *Cough*

Honestly, the debate's been done before. It doesn't really require such a discussion anyway because, hey, it's FICTION. Something that IS NOT REAL.
Harry Potty makes me cough too... If I think about it too much I'll cough up my digestive tract. o_0;

*Shrugs*
Guess I'm just a curious / nosey bastard then. Everything is fiction to me anyhow. Paper, pixels or worldly molecules. All the same... ^_^
I just like to discuss things... even if they're of no particular consequence...

Could you at least explain to me who that person was before you call me him/her/it again? Pretty please?
If you are under the age of 18, you are advised not to interact with me.

KJ Fellie

Postby KJ Fellie » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:02 am

I just like to think of it as more anthill poking.
Sometimes it's necessary. Sometimes it's fun. Sometimes it's not.
Quoth the spotted fox: <b>*yerf*</b> :locke:
You usually
have to take what people say
with a grain of salt.
(or in cases like
mine, a shaker or two may
yield the best result.)

むらがあるフォックス
If you miss my old sigs...

SotiCoto

Postby SotiCoto » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:55 am

Sometimes it's arbitrary.
But where is the value in life if you don't question anything?
:?

KJ Fellie

Postby KJ Fellie » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:15 pm

Sometimes it's arbitrary.
:?
I question things all the time. Usually it's something like "What did I just come into this room for?" Other times it's more like "Will they really chuck me out a window if I spout one more Haiku, or are they just saying that to shut me up? Whatever. It's my scheduled nose-whistling time anyway."

EDIT: You usually have to take what people say with a grain of salt, or in cases like mine, a shaker or two.
You usually
with a grain of salt.
(or in cases like
yield the best result.)

むらがあるフォックス

SotiCoto

Postby SotiCoto » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:35 pm

I question things all the time. Usually it's something like "What did I just come into this room for?" Other times it's more like "Will they really chuck me out a window if I spout one more Haiku, or are they just saying that to shut me up? Whatever. It's my scheduled nose-whistling time anyway."

EDIT: You usually have to take what people say with a grain of salt, or in cases like mine, a shaker or two.
And an admirable way to live it is indeed.
Now I suppose the question now will be: Why do most of the folks here take ME seriously when they don't seem to be taking anything else seriously?

Not to say I take matters relating to the non-aging of the characters ALL that seriously, but then I don't take anything seriously at all, so all things end up equal. ^_^

KJ Fellie

Postby KJ Fellie » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:46 pm

I'm fairly laid back myself. I rarely take things very seriously, but if things get bad enough, people find it difficult to locate all the pieces. That said, it takes a lot to piss me off.
You usually
with a grain of salt.
(or in cases like
yield the best result.)

むらがあるフォックス

Muninn
Moderator (retired)

Postby Muninn » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:21 pm

Questioning stuff is counter-productive. When you question stuff, you imply that they're defective. When you think of it as defective you try to correct it. When you undertake the correction you acknowledge that the defection was there. When you admit yourself to the defection you undermine the position of all associated with the thing that needed correcting. When you see the inherent faults in the previous order that you corrected you realise the holes in its reasoning. When you become aware of the holes you concentrate on their negativeness while discarding the positive aspects. When you focus your attention on the negativeness you accept their importance and you see the patterns of change through progress over history. When you see the patterns you're made aware that your own corrections are merely cosmetic and transitory and that they too will pass and be subject to the same dire criticism. This shows you that your corrections are pointlessly arbitrary. It proves that the old order of things is a failure, unable to sate your fancies, unworkable with the new way questioning has brought, impossible to justify with. Therefore change destroys the set of circumstances familiar/comforting to you and all progress leads to failure. Therefore questioning stuff is counter-productive.

SotiCoto

Postby SotiCoto » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:50 pm

Questioning stuff is counter-productive. When you question stuff, you imply that they're defective. When you think of it as defective you try to correct it. When you undertake the correction you acknowledge that the defection was there. When you admit yourself to the defection you undermine the position of all associated with the thing that needed correcting. When you see the inherent faults in the previous order that you corrected you realise the holes in its reasoning. When you become aware of the holes you concentrate on their negativeness while discarding the positive aspects. When you focus your attention on the negativeness you accept their importance and you see the patterns of change through progress over history. When you see the patterns you're made aware that your own corrections are merely cosmetic and transitory and that they too will pass and be subject to the same dire criticism. This shows you that your corrections are pointlessly arbitrary. It proves that the old order of things is a failure, unable to sate your fancies, unworkable with the new way questioning has brought, impossible to justify with. Therefore change destroys the set of circumstances familiar/comforting to you and all progress leads to failure. Therefore questioning stuff is counter-productive.
Interesting way of putting it, though I wouldn't personally call it entirely accurate.

Afterall, I'm aware that everything in existence is "defective" through the simple fact that perfection is an impossible concept. The very concept of defectiveness is subjective itself in that its magnitude is entirely relative to the application to which one seeks to apply the object... and all this before one gets to questioning it.

As such... when "defectiveness" or merely "imperfection" is mandatory, one cannot correct nor seek to correct it; merely to change its nature in one direction or other. Objectively speaking that may make the influence mandatory at best, but subjectively it can be in the best interests of the subject to do so.

As for the questioning... it is the means of testing data to determine its validity subjective to other data and forming correlation between them. As such, questioning is a necessary part of truly forming familiarity and understanding with subjects. If we never questioned anything, none of us would ever have learnt to talk.

Of course, the REALLY simple way of putting things is that I'm not satisfied to merely nod and accept that which is put in front of me, as that requires that I play no part in the process... and have nothing with which to be satisfied. I would rather act and make some sort of mark, even if you consider it entirely arbitrary, than basically to expire myself without applying thought nor effort to anything.

Muninn
Moderator (retired)

Postby Muninn » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:00 pm

As such... when "defectiveness" or merely "imperfection" is mandatory, one cannot correct nor seek to correct it;
Tell that to human history.

Questioning stuff is counter-productive. Progress implies failure. Thank you.

SotiCoto

Postby SotiCoto » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:12 pm

As such... when "defectiveness" or merely "imperfection" is mandatory, one cannot correct nor seek to correct it;
Tell that to human history.

Questioning stuff is counter-productive. Progress implies failure. Thank you.
It isn't failure if they got done what they wanted to get done.
And questioning stuff isn't counter-productive when answers are what one seeks to produce.

... Erm... by the way... we aren't going to resort to Lolcats here are we? I'm getting that urge to "agree to disagree" before I end up Zombie-Horsing again.

KJ Fellie

Postby KJ Fellie » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:36 pm

I think SotiCoto is getting poked...
You usually
with a grain of salt.
(or in cases like
yield the best result.)

むらがあるフォックス